Ajs Regal Raptor Problum

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
markm

Ajs Regal Raptor Problum

Post by markm »

Hi There i have an ajs regal raptor and i took the brake caliper of the front and i accidently hit the brake leaver and i cant free them or take the brake pads of any help please thanksEdited by - markm on 14 Sep 2012 9:14:26 PM
AJS Regal Raptor 125 DD E 2006
Eamonn
Webmaster

Ajs Regal Raptor Problum

Post by Eamonn »

You have to push the pads back into their holders. It takes a lot of effort as you're having to push back against the fluid and basically "pump" it back up into the handlebar reservoir.

When I've done a similar thing, I managed to get a tyre lever in between the pads and I gently and slowly twisted the lever so that the pads were forced back into the holders. It was a slow process, but they did move back in. Then when there was enough clearance for the caliper to go back over the disk, you can re-assemble.

Try to find something that will get between the pads so you can lever them open, but equally something that won't damage the face of the pads. Try a wooden stick, plastic bar of some sort, etc. Avoid using a screwdriver or chisel if at all possible as these will inevitably damage the face of the brake pad and then you'll need to buy some more and do the whole thing again!
Corners like a Lego man
Janet

Ajs Regal Raptor Problum

Post by Janet »

If there is space to get a flat bar between the pads, cut two bars longer than the wodth of the caliper and drill a hole at each end of both bars, lined up with each other. Then place one bar between the pads and bolt the other on the outside of the caliper. Depending on the shape and delicacy of the caliper, it may be prudent to put a piece of wood behind this first, to give a softer surface.

Screwing the nuts in a little at a time should draw the pad back into the caliper and has the advantage that the piston goes in straight.

If the pads are totally wedged, you may need to accept they're not going to be useable again and very carefully cut them back until there is space to get them out. Then you'll need to push the pistons back so there is room for the new pads to go in.

When you do get the pads out ( and you will succeed ) whatever else you do, don't touch the brake lever until you've put everything back or the pistons will pop out and you'll have brake fluid everywhere. This is nasty stuff and makes a right mess of paintwork. Don't ask me how I know this.Edited by - Janet on 13 Sep 2012 08:32:07 AM
ianselva

Ajs Regal Raptor Problum

Post by ianselva »

Surely you can just release the fluid through the bleed nipple.

Ian
Eamonn
Webmaster

Ajs Regal Raptor Problum

Post by Eamonn »

quote:
Surely you can just release the fluid through the bleed nipple.

Yes, but you risk getting brake fluid everywhere. See Janets comment above!

Corners like a Lego man
bigwol

Ajs Regal Raptor Problum

Post by bigwol »

Makes it easier to lever pads back in if you take the reservoir cap off. Wrap a rag round the reservoir to soak up any fluid that may overflow and once finished and cap back on wash down well.
It's all just riding motorbikes
rex.webb

Ajs Regal Raptor Problum

Post by rex.webb »

You can leave the cap on OK.
You need to get something Thin between the pads to slowly push the Pads and Pistons back.This will be a " S L O W " job but thats the only way .
r w webb

Ajs Regal Raptor Problum

Post by 1608 »

Attach a small hose to the bleed nipple and place other end in glass jar, undo nipple approx one or two turns and pads should be moveable. You may need to bleed the system afterwards. Ensure that no muck or grit enters the slave cylinders.
markm

Ajs Regal Raptor Problum

Post by markm »

thanks for all your help managed to push the pads back up
thanks once again
markm

Ajs Regal Raptor Problum

Post by markm »

i have also just driven in the dark for the first time tonight and the headlight is low on dipped beam and is to high on high beam cant understand why any help appreceated thanks