Ajs Reagal Raptor Charging Problum

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
Colin F

Re: Ajs Reagal Raptor Charging Problum

Post by Colin F »

Sorry that does not make sense!!
The yellow wires are normally (by convention ) AC feed into the regulator, I can accept 40 volts before the regulator but would be AC. If these are the output I would accept 14 volts DC, it's been through the regulator which is designed to keep the voltage at about 13.2 volts but may be a bit higher under no load.
markm

Post by markm »

sorry it was ac not dc
AJS Regal Raptor 125 DD E 2006
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Ok that shows that your alternator is working, you now need to check the regulator. I would expect 4 wires to it, the 2 yellow wires are the AC in the other 2 wires are DC out, what voltage are these showing? I would expect about 13.2 if system is working properly.

One other thing you can check is ALL the fuses on the bike, I have found on occasions that a bike is running and alternator checks out but is not charging that a blown fuse can be the problem!
markm

Post by markm »

where is the fuse box located
markm

Post by markm »

just looked at the bike and only getting 6 - 7v from the regulator cant understand it
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

I would check the regulator output with its DC output disconnected from any possible load from the rest of the wiring. If it's still 6-7V then its knackered, as CF says it should be outputing the charge volts on a 12V battery which is of the order of 13 and a bit. If it then steps up to a larger voltage, then it's case "not proven". There could be two issues (a) something which is overloading it on the bike or (b) it cannot supply under load conditions. To check this you need to attach something as a "dummy load" instead of the rest of the bike and then check the voltage, if it performs correctly with a known loading, then it's something in the wiring, if it doesn't then it's the regulator.
markm

Post by markm »

what would u attach as a dummy load
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

If you can rig up something to a headlight bulb, that would probably be good enough to "exercise" it. You'll be overrunning the bulb, however, if the unloaded output of the regulator is 13.2V then you should get away with it. If it is a dead regulator then it will not be able to drive the bulb properly. Measure the voltage across the bulb, if it's down below the 13.2 then the regulator is toast.
markm

Post by markm »

Now sorted thanks for all your help took regulator off to find broken wire underneath