dd125e 2006 mk1 given a new custom look

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
wartog

dd125e 2006 mk1 given a new custom look

Post by wartog »

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/gallery/3585_hres.jpg
My 8 year old dd125e has had 9 owners previous to me and still runs like a dream though cosmetically she had seen better days, so I've decided to celebrate her first birthday (with me) by treating her to a face lift, a new paint job and a couple of mods and she could be fresh from the assembly line, what dya think guys?
Dave
dave16mct

Re: dd125e 2006 mk1 given a new custom look

Post by dave16mct »

Nice job, changed the look. Only thing is every time you park up now you'll have guys walking up and telling you they rode one of those in the war!
Cheers Dave.
wartog

Post by wartog »

Ha ha, your right, we have a local event in a village nearby that have brings together all the war time vehicles, I had a ride through whilst it was all going on, though it's not strictly accurate as a military vehicle, everybody loved it, she pulled in quite a crowd lol
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Nice and different, could almost be an AHRMA ex WD conversion :beer:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

Nice job Dave, got to ask a few questions, have you removed bits and tidied up behind the seat, mine still has a pillion seat and back rest, when I removed it, there are holes and cable to the rear lights.

I assume holes filled, cable on the underside of the mudguard and a different seat?

Cheers

Adrian
owner of another dd125E 2006 reg.

wartog

Post by wartog »

Thanks for the nice feedback guys.
Adrian, yes the rear fender is a right mess when you remove the pillion especially mine, there where 3 golf ball size holes that where rusted all the way through, the mods I did for this clean look was to first fill the holes using isopon p38/p40 and sand smooth with wet and dry, I relocated the hole for the stop and tail light wires to be hidden directly feed through under the tail light, The fixture that held the seat in place on the fender I chopped in half jeeping the front half and discarding the half that held the grab strap for the rear seat in place, drilled new holes in the fixture and fender to keep the seat secure, for the seat I removed all the old pu leather and foam and retained the seat pan, I used some heavy duty adhesive spray to fix some new foam to the seat pan, then shaped the foam till I was happy with the profile. Luckily a friend of mine owns a fabric warehouse so I was able to get some nice leather for next to nothing to cover the seat, I've uploaded some more pictures (just waiting for approval) which shows the rear fender in more detail, I had a lot of fun with this customization, I recommend anyone having a go at this, you get a lot of satisfaction in knowing you have a unique bike, give me a shout if you have anymore questions I'm happy to talk about it... Pictures to follow
wartog

Post by wartog »

wartog

Post by wartog »

wartog

Post by wartog »

AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

Thanks for the information Dave, it certainly is a clean look on the back end, and probably saves a bit of weight as well.

Cheers

Adrian