complete novice looking for help.

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
spraypicswales

Re: complete novice looking for help.

Post by spraypicswales »

ok im back home now so will start on the bike tomorrow. have managed whilst away to order some new spark plugs which have arrived and also bought a copy of the haynes manual for chinese 125s. if sparks arent the problem then out come the carbs (should be a giggle). will keep you informed.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Good luck, keep notes and photos if you can of every stage of any dismantling, belive me the memory will play tricks!!! :headbang: so a picture or note/drawing will be very handy for the correct order of parts.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
spraypicswales

Post by spraypicswales »

Thanks for the reply alf. Took the sparks out and put in new. Still same problem so drained tank, dismantled, labelled all cables and pipes, took out carb and stripped. Used carb cleaner and then reassembled everything. Refilled tank and started first time. Idles a lot better but haven't taken it out yet. Will be doing that tomorrow. But all seems to be good so far. Not sure why but last week was having problems getting it into neutral but today the gears seemed a lot smoother as well. Will update tomorrow after I've taken it out.

dont say it. spray it.
spraypicswales

Post by spraypicswales »

ImageImageImageImageImage

dont say it. spray it.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

This may be a million miles away from what is your problem and I have to use my memory of a friends bike rom a few years ago. He suffered a similar problem and it was found to be a rubber pipe from the top part of the exhaust to a black box. Whatever, the pipe is at the front of the bike and is easily seen to have split and come off. Its a rotten design.

Have a look, it only takes a second, but then it might just go into the 98% of rubbish I speak.

Alan
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Alan you might be right there, it's the EGR unit and I believe a guest member had the problem and he binned the box and blocked off the feed from the exhaust and it seemed to go a bit quicker too!
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Ah, thanks for the reminder. The pipe was one of the most annoying things he had to deal with. many others, but the pipe was a bit of a joke. Also the after sales care he had. I think he blocked off the bits also. It didn't put him off, he sold it and got an almost proper bike, jap and big.
spraypicswales

Post by spraypicswales »

I am extremely grateful for all the replies but one thing I've noticed is the ridicule of such a bike. For me it's something to practice on until I pass my DAS. Then I will be moving to something like a 650 yamaha cruiser and eventually a bike I have wanted since I was a child, a honda goldwing. It may not be the beloved AJS original that most members have but it is still a bike. It came along at the right time at the right price for a short term thing and if it helps me on the road to become a more competent and safe rider then I am happy to have it.

dont say it. spray it.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

I don't think it's actually ridicule, after all a bike is a bike, it's perhaps the past experience of owners problems that has crept in. Essentially it's good looking bike and does what it says on the box. The engine is based on the old honda engine, but I think that a lot of the extra's, necessary for the present EU emmision laws has somewhat created a stifled motor in conjunction with not always top quality electrical gear.

As a bike to get you in practice or to run about economically, can't see anything wrong with that. I hope you get it going well and have fun, after all that's part of the joy of bikes, if you get a 1200cc Sukawakonda after then that's good. Some of us have modern bikes too and some have come from rocket ships to the old clunkers. In the end it's a matter of personal choice.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Russ,
have a look at AdrianH 's posts about his bike (same as yours) . Adrian now comes to our NW section meetings and on our runs. His bike is now reliable and sings along at good speeds with no problem.
Cheers Dave.