complete novice looking for help.

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
spraypicswales

complete novice looking for help.

Post by spraypicswales »

Hi all.
Little bit of background. Ive been a driver for 23 years and always intended doing my bike test. As a surprise for my 40th 2 weeks ago my wife booked me in to do my CBT. Having successfully passed this I toiled with the idea of doing DAS straight away or buy a 125 and potter around to get experience on the road first. The buying of a 125 won and yesterday I traveled 2 hours to pick up a second hand AJS Regal Raptor dd125e-8 2011 plate. It is in good condition and I came home like a kid in a candy shop. This morning after insuring and taxing the bike I decided to take it for a spin. The first 4 miles were great and then all of a sudden it lost power. When in first and just releasing clutch, giving a bit of throttle it was crawling at about 2mph. I managed to get it into 2nd then went up 2 more gears reaching a neck breaking 25 - 30 mile an hour. Then I encountered a small hill. To say the bike wouldn't go up it is an understatement and I had to dismount and push the damn thing. I left it for about 5 minutes and then restarted it (starts first time every time no problem) but again in 1st when open throttle and let out clutch at 17 stone I could run faster. So I ended up pushing it the last 2 mile of my journey. This is where my problem lies. I know nothing about bikes and engines (willing to learn). Have been told it could be the carbs or the clutch slipping as well as numerous other things. Being here now on a forum dedicated to this make, I am really hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction and put me back to riding instead of running and pushing. Otherwise I could be selling the bike and buying a treadmill. Thanks in advance. Russ.
clive

Re: complete novice looking for help.

Post by clive »

Did you buy privately or from a dealer? If from a dealer I would take it back for them to fix. If not loads more information is needed to help diagnose the fault(s).
Did the engine rev but no increase in speed? (suggests clutch slip) but you would notice that when trying to kickstart it.
You could look at the spark plug and check no muck has got into the carb.
It starts easily but there is no power. This would suggest there is a problem with the timing. As one of the vintage owners on this site I do not know about the AJS Regal Raptor dd125e-8 but if it has an automatic advance system I would suggest this may be a good place to start.
There will probably be others with better knowledge of the modern AJS who can advise.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
spraypicswales

Post by spraypicswales »

Thanks for the swift reply

It was a private sale, the couple seemed genuine and in all fairness have emailed them with the problem and they are trying to help me solve the problem. but them being 2 hours away it is all done via email but they do know about their bikes. Once the bike was in 1st, i would release the clutch to get the bike moving but it would not go any faster than snail pace. throttle seems ok and revved fine. once the bike crawled i could gt into 2nd and then 3rd but no faster than 30mph. didnt even bother going into any more gears. as soon as it encountered a hill the power just dropped so i knocked it down a gear, got about 30 more feet and then power went all together. so stopped bike got off and walked it up the hill to a layby. once in the layby I checked it was in neutral, pushed the start button and she started straight away and sounded like it should. again, put into 1st and released clutch and gave some throttle. about 2 mph again. whilst it was at this point i decided to see if the throttle would open fully and whilst in gear opened up the throttle and didnt move any further and faster. so with the clutch not being touched, in 1st, I can open the throttle fully and move no faster. any advice is much appreciated as i am so new to this and it is quite disheartening on day 1 to have such a problem when things were going so well.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Please do not take offence, if the engine seemed to run OK, were you getting the gear change correct.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

My experience of an engine that revs and sounds fine, but has no power is that it is usually the ignition system not creating a strong enough spark. First check the spark plug leads and spark plug cap, if their insulation is bad you will see a blue haze of arcing, more easily seen if you can run the engine in the dark. Observe the ignition coil, also in the dark, is it loosing spark? I think the Raptor has electronic ignition, so that is as far as you could go with the ignition checking.

The other cause of no power could be the valves are not opening fully and could be caused by a worn camshaft. This would be a bit more challenging technically to describe here and for you to undertake with limited experience. You can try get hold of a manual and read up how to check the valve opening mechanism.

Hope this helps.

Rob C

PS. I just did a goo__ search and found a reviewer that had the same experience you described :
http://www.reviewcentre.com/125s/AJS-Re ... ew_2833247
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

error
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

The engine is a 125cc twin cylinder with carburetor fueling. I would suggest that there are two strong posibilitys for lack of power, firstly the spark plugs, change them for new and test ride, it's quite possible if one cylinder is not firing that the engine will rev quite nicely at standstill but not produce enough power when riding. (previous comments to be noted , re plug leads etc)

Secondly and more complicated, the carburetor may have a partial blockage in the main jet, not riding the bike you could still ,at rest ,rev it up and it would seem ok till you rode it, then the required amount of fuel to give power would not be forthcoming, hence slow speed.

Had the bike been standing for some time , not used? This would point to stale fuel and/or a blockage in carburetor caused by deposits in the fuel settling and gumming up the inside of the carburetor.

There are a number of reasons to cause lack of power, but start with basics first. Has it fuel (enough of) and has it ignition ( plugs ok and timing correct, being electronic, not so much chance of it being in error)

You should be able to see 60mph on the flat and go up hills at at least 25-30 mph.

Hopefully without any nasty mechanical noise apparent you should have a chance of getting it going .
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
clive

Post by clive »

I don't know these bikes but it did 4 miles without the problem. Now I know it is twin I would agree that the likely cause is one cylinder not firing properly after those 4 miles, this would give most of the symptoms you describe. I would guess either one of the spark plugs is not working properly or the charge is finding its way to earth without sparking properly in the engine. So I would start with a pair of new plugs and wiping clean the HT cables. Let us know what you have tried and the results.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
spraypicswales

Post by spraypicswales »

Thank you so much for all the replies. I am now away until Friday but Saturday morning the bike is the first on my list. I will try the spark plugs first. When I bought it the couple said it had been stored for winter so the petrol may have been a problem but I managed to get to a garage about 5 miles into my ride and filled it. (Hoping this was the right thing to do). They have been emailing me and are helpful and can't understand why it is happening. I was in tge right gear. From green neutral, 1 click down and thats when I had the problem. They did tell me they power washed it before I bought so were wondering if there was moisture in the plugs. As I say I only had it sa gurney, rode it sunday and am away now. So fingers crossed it's a simple problem. Again thank you all and I look forward to being a long time member here.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

After pressure washing, you could have wet electrics, connections, condensation in the sparkplug caps, and water in the carb float bowls. Happy hunting!

Rob C