Ajs Daytona problem fixed

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
Davemuir

Ajs Daytona problem fixed

Post by Davemuir »

Hi
I have a 2010 Ajs Daytona .
I purchased it off eBay last year but when it arrived there was no power at all .
I stripped the carb and cleaned it after learning it was only firing on one cylinder by touching each exhaust in turn .
Tried the bike again and hey presto all working great, but couldn't get above 50 miles per hour ,it just seemed to lag at that speed .
I decided to take the carb off again and check the clearances in the butterfly valves ,I also noticed that the choke lever was only lifting one of the choke tubes in the carb so I fixed that .
I also screwed in each mixture screw all the way in and screwed both out by one and a half turns ,put the carb back on and tried it again .
The bike was fantastic I can get between 60 and 70 mph now and I'm 15 stone 😃
Regards
Dave
dave16mct

Re: Ajs Daytona problem fixed

Post by dave16mct »

Well done on sorting your 125 out. We met a lad who has one, he works at the cafe at St Mary's Loch near Moffat. He uses it every day to get there. Dave.
Davemuir

Re: Ajs Daytona problem fixed

Post by Davemuir »

Hi Dave
Thanks -
I've got back into biking after a long time without a bike .
I'm now 52, but in my teens I had a few different bikes when the law stated you could ride
up to a 250 cc ,when the law changed ,I didn't bother to do the test ,just bought a car instead .
I had been looking at the Daytona 125 for a wee while before deciding to get one ,mainly because
the bike looks much bigger ,and after doing my test I could fit a bigger engine ,I work as an aircraft
engineer at Edinburgh airport so I reckon I could do the mechanics .

I'm totally amazed at how the Daytona rides ,the first time out I rode through to St. Andrews and parked
at the beach ,after getting off the seat ,2 chaps were walking by and as I looked behind me they were taking pictures of the bike 😃couldn't believe it for a 125.
I now have the carb fixed and the bike can do up to 70 mph so I'm happy with that until I pass the test .
By the way the bikes I had in the past were a bsa bantam,lambreta,Honda ss50 now a wee clasic😃,
Honda step through ,Honda xl250 and a Suzuki gs250 😃
Cheers
Dave