Dd125e regal raptor neutral switch

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
Gt6drummer

Dd125e regal raptor neutral switch

Post by Gt6drummer »

Hi all, hoping someone may be able to help. Have recently bought a second hand dd125e (mk1 engine). Haven't had chance to give the bike a good run yet, but have noticed the neutral light can be very intermittent, along with the gear selector mechanism which can be very sloppy ( I imagine this may need replacing). Initially I thought the gear selector shaft may need replacing, but after receiving a little bit of advice I adjusted the clutch cable tonight and set up the gear selector mechanism again. The bike with the ignition on seems to go down into neutral and up into first and second. It doesn't go any higher, but I'm assuming this is because the bike isn't running. When I shift the pedal back down, the neutral light still doesn't come on, which makes me wonder if the neutral switch may be dodgy or have a dodgy connection. Does anyone have any idea which side of the engine I can find it and how difficult it is to replace? I am still open to the fact that the gear selector shaft may need replacing, or any other theories/ advice. Many thanks in advance, Matt TOPIC_ID=10345&FORUM_ID=58&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=Workshop+Manual&Forum_Title=Modern+AJ
SPRIDDLER

Re: Dd125e regal raptor neutral switch

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome Matt. :rofl:

I can't determine from your description of the symptoms whether you are referring to a misbehaving neutral light or a mechanical fault with the gearbox.

So, ignoring the neutral light, does the gearbox perform correctly when the bike is ridden? That is to say, are all the gears functioning, and in the 'right' place with regard to the position of the gear lever? It is not unusual to be unable to 'step through' all the gears when the bike is stationary, whether or not th'engine is running, as the rear wheel needs to be turning the gearbox output shaft (the mainshaft) for the higher gears (3,4,5) to select/engage.

(I ignore the neutral light on my new Chinese bike as it's unreliable; lighting up when the bike's in a gear, or not lighting up when it is in Neutral).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Gt6drummer

Post by Gt6drummer »

Hi, thanks for the welcome! :D
Unfortunately, i have only quickly ridden the bike down the back lane once to see how it was. I didnt even get into second as the gear lever linkage wasnt playing ball - there is a lot of play on the one that is on the bike at the mo. Im now in the situation where i cant start the bike because the neutral light wont come on so i cant see if last nights adjustments have made a difference to the gear change. If i get chance tonight i will adjust the clutch cable a bit more to see if it slackens the clutch off a bit - hopefully lighting up the neutral indicator. In the meantime ill be ordering a new linkage!... :roll:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Gt6drummer wrote: I didnt even get into second as the gear lever linkage wasnt playing ball - there is a lot of play on the one that is on the bike
Is the play because the gear lever is loose on its shaft?
I'm now in the situation where i cant start the bike because the neutral light wont come on so i cant see if last nights adjustments have made a difference to the gear change.
It is the neutral sensor that blocks the power to the starter unless it 'senses' that the bike is in neutral (whether it actually is in neutral or not). You could bypass the dratted neutral light (i.e. so that it thinks it's in neutral all the time regardless of whether any gear is engaged) then confirm that it's in neutral by rocking the bike backwards and forwards before operating the starter. Be aware that with the neutral indicator bypassed/disabled the starter may operate when the bike is in gear, .............leaving you behind.
If i get chance tonight i will adjust the clutch cable a bit more to see if it slackens the clutch off a bit - hopefully lighting up the neutral indicator. In the meantime ill be ordering a new linkage!... :roll:
Is the bike actually (i.e. mechanically) in neutral when the light doesn't come on? Adjusting the clutch will have no effect on the neutral light itself as I'm pretty sure that the neutral sensor is activated by the gear selector cam inside the gearbox, not the external gearchange or clutch linkage.

On my new Chinese bike (600 miles covered) I couldn't get the bike to go into neutral gear at all with th'engine running (I had to stop th'engine to get neutral) and discovered that the clutch cable needs to be adjusted so that the clutch starts to free with just the slightest movement of the handlebar lever.
Gt6drummer

Post by Gt6drummer »

Is the bike actually (i.e. mechanically) in neutral when the light doesn't come on? Adjusting the clutch will have no effect on the neutral light itself as I'm pretty sure that the neutral sensor is activated by the gear selector cam inside the gearbox, not the external gearchange or clutch linkage.

At the moment, i believe it is in neutral as the linkage wont change down any further. I will take the casing off and see if i can get to the neutral switch, i believe it is chain side. New linkage is on order, so hopefully will be here in a couple of days and will be able to find out whether i can change through the box.

Thanks for suggestions, much appreciated! :headbang: :headbang:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've never needed to venture inside a 'modern' Chinese gearbox/engine and don't know how familiar you are with mechanicals but suggest you are very careful when removing the casing as there may well be springs and stuff ready to make a bid for freedom. In addition, do not disturb selectors or cams inside the gearbox or you may have trouble correctly lining it all up again. Take photos as you proceed.
What new 'linkage' have you ordered? Just the gear lever or more than that?
I don't think there's an official technical/workshop manual for the Raptor but you can get a generic Haynes manual (try Amazon) which claims to cover all Chinese 125's.
Gt6drummer

Post by Gt6drummer »

Have ordered the foot operated lever at the moment which connects to the gear selector shaft. im hoping i dont have to replace the the selector shaft as that will involve opening the clutch side, and lord only knows what is waiting inside there for me to misplace! :shock: Have already taken part of chain side cover off so i can see where the neutral switch wiring goes. That side is not too bad. Awaiting Haynes manual as we speak!...
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If the bike has been used with the gear lever loose its splines (I assume it has splines) will be worn. It's unlikely that the splines on the shaft are worn as that shaft will (should) be harder than the gear lever material which will have more than likely been cast from scrapped washing machine parts.
If the gear lever pinch bolt has been over-tightened the opening in the splined end will have stretched so that even when the bolt is tight the gap in the splined end closes up before it grips the shaft securely.
I doubt very much that the problem is due to a worn selector shaft. Replacing it may (depending upon the design) mean removing the selector forks and refitting them on the new shaft, re-aligning them and the selector cam(s) which is usually not as simple as it may seem. Mind you, if a 14 year old Chinese factory worker can do it.............???
Gt6drummer

Post by Gt6drummer »

Spiddler, can i ask, how did you bypass the neutral switch? i have gone out this evening, further adjusted the clutch cable, but as you thought this hasnt made a difference. I think it is in neutral as it wont shift down an further, but i cant be sure - hence why i want to try and start it. Any ideas if it is not shifting down into neutral?

Again, many thanks Matt
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

B*GGER!
I've just written a long and detailed (one-fingered) explanation but it timed out and it has all disappeared.
Briefly........
I don't have access to a circuit diagram for the Raptor but if you only have a neutral light and not an LCD/LED display showing which gear you are in the sensor will probably have two wires.
Have spare fuses handy!
1. Remove one wire from the sensor and check if the neutral light illuminates.
2. Remove both wires and keep them apart......... ditto.................................................................... (T'aint rocket science ;) )
3. Remove both wires and join them together.........ditto...................................................................(I told you it aint rocket science!)

It's a daft thought but if fitted, have you inadvertently activated the 'kill' switch on the 'bars? (I spent an embarrassing 45 mins one club night trying to get the bitch to start before someone smugly pointed that out).
Is the sidestand down (on mine the starter won't operate if it isn't up).
Also on mine the starter won't work unless the clutch is pulled in. I've disabled that on my bike as my clutch is on the left (as is the front brake lever) and the 'Start' button is on the right of the 'bars. Since I can only use my left arm I could not pull in the clutch and press the 'Start' button with the same (left) hand.
For explanation here's my set-up on my previous Honda bike

Sending this quick before I lose it all again. :(