Brand New

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
Dougie1211

Brand New

Post by Dougie1211 »

Yes, folks, how're things? Great to find a dedicated forum / group.
First things first, I'm an absolute newcomer - so please, excuse my ignorance. For a while my etiquette / terminology may well be lacking.
I'm delighted to be on the bike though and really hoping to learn a lot of basic maintenance and get properly involved.
So, I got me a 2006 regal Raptor 125 the other day.
I'd recently done my CBT and was looking for a 125 to potter around on to get the confidence up.
Went to the fellas house and took a wee test ride - all good.
Brought her home, tried to start her yesterday - nothing.
The ingnition switch is working but the engine won't turn over.
Kill switch is off and kick stand is up. Bike is level. There's a new battery fitted last week.
Tried with full, half and very little choke. Nothing. The horn actually makes a noise just before the engine dies completely.
So, I message the fella I bought her off, and he's at my door literally an hour later ( really nice guy ). He jumps on and she starts first time.
He's giving it choke and revving the engine to let her warm up and she's running like a dream and sounding perfect.
He doesn't see any problem. Well don't I look foolish?
He heads home, and about 2 hours later, I start her up and take a wee spin around the block with no problems.
7am this morning, I try to start her up and it's exactly the same as yesterday.
There's clearly a knack / proper order to be followed here, that I just haven't got ( eg. Choke, ignition, throttle etc …. ). But I can't be dragging this guy to my house every time I want to start her and I'm almost sure I did exactly the same thing he did.
Does anyone else have this problem with cold starts and can offer me some advice?
Is there anyone from NI with a similar bike or experience of cold start problems? It's REALLY cold over here lately.
Anyway, any help or advice would be appreciated.
" meaningful song lyrics "
clive

Re: Brand New

Post by clive »

Welcome, like many of the members of this club I have the old AJS not one of your newer ones but I can make some suggestions. As you point out the difference between the two times you have started it is that the engine is fully cold when you cannot start it. My guess is that in addition to the choke you need to play with the amount of throttle you are giving the bike. Some bikes need no throttle at all, some a little bit and some a lot to get started from cold. Also is there a way of flooding the carb? From cold it may need more fuel. If there is not a way of flooding the carb sometimes giving the throttle a couple of sharp turns before you try starting causes additional fuel to be provided. Hopefully someone with a modern AJS can help which is why I have moved your post into the modern AJS part of the forum.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Dougie1211

Post by Dougie1211 »

Thanks Clive, much appreciated. I swear I'd meant to post this in the Modern section. of the forum.
I'll give the throttle a few turns before I try.
The choke is o the left under the seat, so it's awkward to try to use the throttle, starter choke and clutch at once!!
Also, stupid question, but will room temperature make a difference?
When we say " Cold " do we actually mean physically cold, unused or a combination of both?
Janet

Post by Janet »

You say that the engine won't turn over. so I'm guessing that it's an electric start. If I'm correct, can you detect any attempt by the starter motor to turn the engine over even when cold? If not, or if it's very slow, I suspect that there's something amiss in the connections between the battery and the starter motor or, always worth a look, any earth terminal in the system. Cold weather affects many things that are not susceptible in the summer months and I suspect this is one of them. Often, once an engine has started in the day, it will restart until you need it again the next morning. If the engine isn't getting enough ooomph from the starter, it won't work.

Keep trying, it will be worth it when you've sorted it.
Dougie1211

Post by Dougie1211 »

I can feel it TRYING to start but the engine just doesn't kick in.
I know there's a probably a knack to it and to be honest, I've only been on newer bikes with no choke, so it's all new to me.
I'll persevere, because I've really enjoyed it when I HAVE had her out and there don't seem to be any problems while she's running.
It's clearly my own ineptitude, as the seller was able to start it up straight away when he came round. This is why I'm reluctant to call the seller again.
Choke is on the left under the seat and to hold in the clutch, use the throttle, hold in the starter and work the choke, I'd need 3 hands.
clive

Post by clive »

Presumably the previous owner did not have three hands so will the choke stay at a setting? When I say cold I mean the engine has not been run so the barrel feels cold to the touch, not still warm. The colder the conditions are the more difficult your battery will find it to turn over the engine as the oil will be thicker. I think your bike may be fuel injection so the hint about the carb may be irrelevant.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Dougie1211

Post by Dougie1211 »

I know - I've literally convinced myself that he was doing the impossible!
No the choke returns to it's starting position if I let it go.
I'm wondering, should the throttle be open when I hit the starter button?
This wasn't the case on the bike I did my CBT on, but having more of a look online, I'm wondering if this bike might need it.
Ignition - Clutch - Throttle - Starter - Choke, is doable 2 handed.
You hate me don't you?
Janet

Post by Janet »

Dougie1211 wrote:I can feel it TRYING to start but the engine just doesn't kick in.
So the engine does turn over? From your first post I thought it didn't turn at all. Does it try to fire, ie cough, but doesn't pick up enough to run?
Choke is on the left under the seat and to hold in the clutch, use the throttle, hold in the starter and work the choke, I'd need 3 hands.
It's funny isn't it that some bikes were designed not to start if the clutch is pulled in and others, like yours, won't start unless it is. Presumably you can let go of it when the engine starts running? Perhaps the sensor isn't working properly.

Like Clive, by cold I mean an engine that hasn't been running for some time.
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

My wife had an ECO-2 which is similar. Starting the bike, did not need the clutch pulled unlike some cars and in fact if you used the kickstart rather than the electric it would isolate the engine from the kickstart. If the carb is the same design as the ECO-2, the choke should stay in position (in the case of the ECO-2 the choke is operated by a bar/lever which needs to be "lifted" for starting). Indeed it will probably need to left in position until the engine has warmed up and starts to pick up speed in tickover. You may or may not need throttle to start but this can be done one handed as the starter button is usually on the throttle side of the handle bar. The wife's bike very rarely needed any throttle to start and in fact could easily stall when cold if too much throttle was used.
Dougie1211

Post by Dougie1211 »

Exactly Janet, it turns over, coughs and splutters then dies. I can let the clutch out when the engine starts properly, yes.

Cerberus, the choke definitely doesn't stay in position. Maye it should and I've got a dud.

I'm thinking I might ask the guy to come round for an hour one day after Christmas, offer him a few quid to sit with me for an hour or so and talk through nay wee quirks or foibles.

Cheers for the help anyway folks, if any of you find yourselves on the Emerald Isle I'll have a pint waiting for you.