AJS Cadwell Clubman.

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
SPRIDDLER

Re: AJS Cadwell Clubman.

Post by SPRIDDLER »

REW wrote:And sadly, none of this helps skydiver. Any one within a short ride of him, "West Midlands"?
I'm not clear as to whether the issue revolves around the bike being out of warranty (so that repair would be chargeable), or the 50 quid collection charge.
If it's the collection charge maybe a local member would trailer it to the supplying dealer? I'd willingly do it if I was nearer, but I wouldn't want to meddle with someone else's hydraulic brakes.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bob121

Post by bob121 »

If there is a substantial warranty left on the bike, then the conversation is worth having with the dealer. The brake issue may be chargeable, especially if it has had so little use that it misses the service point. The bike is rideable. The front brake is working.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

bob121 wrote:The bike is rideable. The front brake is working.
Really? Of course, it's not your licence is it? :roll:

Steve
skydiver

Post by skydiver »

Well I took the bike to the dealer who supplied it to sort out the brake problem...He said that it was due to the manufacturer not clearing the air out of the hose which links both brakes....Hmm,not convinced that is a fact...More likely to be the kids who prepare the bike when it was removed from the crate...KC.
skydiver

Post by skydiver »

skydiver wrote:Neither brake works when the pedal is used....Front brake works O.K. when using hand lever...Contacted supplier who told me that it was out of warranty as it hadn't been serviced on schedule----Even if you don't ride it--It must be serviced!!!!They wanted fifty quid just to collect it...I've suffered two braking problems one of which left me with NO BRAKES AT ALL....As a disabled army veteran I can't run the risk of being stranded due to unreliability....I'm beginning to consider that the machine is "Unfit-for-purpose"...It doesn't start using the kickstarter,two brake failures and a speedometer which doesn't comply with current regulations--reading very optimistic....Would I recommend one to a friend?----Ha ha...Not likely....KC.
As an update on my Cadwell Custom, I have now suffered YET ANOTHER brake failure just 200km after the dealer had"Fixed" it....Three brake failures in just 1,480 km....The dealer will only collect it if I pay eighty pounds....That's more than the heap of junk is worth...….Would I recommend one to my worst enemy? Certainly not....
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

skydiver wrote:
skydiver wrote:Neither brake works when the pedal is used....Front brake works O.K. when using hand lever...Contacted supplier who told me that it was out of warranty as it hadn't been serviced on schedule----Even if you don't ride it--It must be serviced!!!!They wanted fifty quid just to collect it...I've suffered two braking problems one of which left me with NO BRAKES AT ALL....As a disabled army veteran I can't run the risk of being stranded due to unreliability....I'm beginning to consider that the machine is "Unfit-for-purpose"...It doesn't start using the kickstarter,two brake failures and a speedometer which doesn't comply with current regulations--reading very optimistic....Would I recommend one to a friend?----Ha ha...Not likely....KC.
As an update on my Cadwell Custom, I have now suffered YET ANOTHER brake failure just 200km after the dealer had"Fixed" it....Three brake failures in just 1,480 km....The dealer will only collect it if I pay eighty pounds....That's more than the heap of junk is worth...….Would I recommend one to my worst enemy? Certainly not....
Is the speedo in km? That can't be suitable for UK market? Cheers. Bruce.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I sorted mine on project kate by taking the calliper off and pushing back the pad with a clamp. It let out a big fart of air then reverse filled from the nipple. I know yours is a slightly different set up but it worked for me. :beer:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Have you looked at Dudley's 'Rear brake' thread just below your post? His AJS had a faulty brake cylinder.
thornebt wrote:
Is the speedo in km? That can't be suitable for UK market? Cheers. Bruce.
My Chinese bike has the miles in kilometres ( :? ) but the speed in mph which is the legal necessity. It's just a case of replacing the dial whereas the distance is recorded mechanically
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

You may find that the rear master cylinder is faulty, my Tempest Scrambler has the same system, replaced the master cylinder, then bled the system with a vacuum bleeder. It seems that air is difficult to remove from the long hose from the rear master cylinder to the front calliper. Now works perfectly.
skydiver

Post by skydiver »

Almost three years after buying the heap of junk laughingly called Cadwell Custom it's now due its first MOT...No chance of passing that...Rear brake does not work at all despite attention of a local mechanic...I also suspect that a wheel bearing has failed causing dreadful handling...All this after covering 1,480 km....Paid £2795 for it, and now pretty much worthless...Buyer beware...KC.