Side stand

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
123hudy

Side stand

Post by 123hudy »

Hi every one
I'm new to this forum and new to bikes as well
I just bought new regal raptor dd125 e-8, bike is lively just annoying thing about it is the fact that when is on side stand I can't start the engine, so it's bit pain to worm up engine from cold as I have to fold the stand and seat on it, any one have idea how and where to disconnects this stand sensor?
Rob Harknett

Re: Side stand

Post by Rob Harknett »

You do not usually start a motor bike and leave it running on a stand. The bike will probably vibrate and fall over. You should not have to wait very long, or no time at all before moving off. On our old bikes you have a choke lever for cold starting. So you have to manually open the choke once warmed up. But they are 50 to 100 years old. I would have thought your bike would have automatic choke. Did you get an instruction manual with the bike?
If the stand has a sensor to prevent you starting the engine, with the stand down. Do you not think, that is for a very good reason.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

To prevent accidents caused by stands not folded away, it is now mandatory on new machines for an inhibitor to be fitted to either prevent starting or kill the engine when engaging gear whilst the side stand is down.
It is for your own safety.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums Tom.
The best way to warm up an engine is to work it. 'Warming up' an engine by leaving it ticking over harks back to basic water cooled car engines and the days before multigrade oils were available which do not need warming up to thin them and get them flowing. You see race bikes warming up stationary because they can't go for a blast around the paddock or on the track to do it.
My modern bike has a side stand cut-out but it also has a manual choke. I start it, ride off and turn the choke off after a mile or so.
The consequence of riding off with the stand down is most unpleasant, if not dangerous.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

Stuoyb wrote:It is for your own safety.
And could invalidate your insurance if you were to disconnect it and forget, setting off without raising the stand, then have it digging in on a corner.

This is slightly annoying for you but will be seriously inconvenient when you come to maintenance work such as wheel removal when, without a centre stand, you will need some other form of support. As far as I know, there is no option for a centre stand on the Raptor models, but you could ask the suppliers first, just in case there is. You'll still have this problem even if you disconnect the sensor to your side stand, so it would be sensible to sort out a solution before it becomes necessary.

I know we're not giving you the answer to your question, but riding off with the stand down is not unheard off. Fortunately, most who do it find out before they reach the first corner, usually when an on-looker screams "SIDE STAND". I'm not going to tell you how I know this. :oops:

Most of us here are old fogeys and err on the side of safety but that's why we've lived to become old fogeys. Enjoy your bike and, as Spriddler said, you don't need to leave it to warm up.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Janet wrote:Most of us here are old fogeys and err on the side of safety but that's why we've lived to become old fogeys. Enjoy your bike and, as Spriddler said, you don't need to leave it to warm up.
It is also never guaranteed that (when anyone is watching) our 40/50/60/70 yr old kick-start bikes will actually start without knee-knackering gymnastics, adjustments to timing, fiddling with the carb, changing a plug, casting the Runes, helpful advice from bystanders or recovering with a brew, therefore one tends to have a couple of exploratory attempts prior to becoming roasted inside a jacket, helmet and gloves. Relieved by getting it started it is left ticking over, not to warm it up but there is no way one would risk stopping the engine whilst getting kitted up for the ride.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Relieved by getting it started it is left ticking over, not to warm it up but there is no way one would risk stopping the engine whilst getting kitted up for the ride.
As one of Glyn's mates says, "Never waste a start". You can be pretty sure if you stop it, when you're ready to go it won't start again. He is a BSA rider so perhaps his philosophy is understandable. :rofl:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Most of my old bikes have a spring on the side stand, so if the bike is upright the stand springs up. I was not aware that new bikes had to have the " stand down " cut out, as mentioned by Stu.. Never had a bike newer that 1966. I have been riding bikes for 52 years and have never started a bike and warmed up stationary. Always start and go. On the old bikes, opening the choke and advancing the ignition lever as the bike warmed up to running temperature while riding.. Even in a car, the only time I may run the engine stationary, is on very cold mornings, while scraping frost off windows. With the car heater blowing, rear screen heater, mirror heaters and seat heaters on. For me now I'm old, bikes are only for warm weather fun riding. So enjoy riding your bike while you can. Leave the stand as it should be, apart from invalid insurance and preventing you having an accident. Don't forget your bike could also get hurt bad. You would not want to hurt your bike would you. Old bikes never had stand engine cut outs to help prevent an accident riding with the stand down. side centre and rear stands did have something to do the job of keeping them up, while riding. This is a spring. Many accidents would have happened if a spring broke. The stand would fall and dig in on a bend, having you off. So you are lucky having a modern bike fitted with something to prevent such nasty accidents. Having a wheel out a bike with only a side stand was mentioned. I have seen bikes with wheels out, on side stands only, at a garage. A jack being used, to jack up the bike, so front or rear wheel is off the ground. Perhaps one day you may like to test your skills riding an old AJS. You may even think it fun and want one. Perhaps even a very old one, with no gears, clutch and very little braking power. They cannot even be stopped at lights etc, The engine would cut out if stopped. then no start button or kick starter to start them. You had to run and jump on when they started. You could only slow the bikes down, not stopping them, by using an exhaust de compression lever. Also the old bikes have no suspension. So if you want a shake rattle & roll ride better than you'll get on a roller coaster at a fair ground, you may like to join us getting an old bike one day. In the mean time still welcome on your modern AJS.
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

This was one of the few pains we had with my wife's ECO-2 AJS. The cut out switch was on the side-stand only, rather than with many modern bikes being linked into the gear change enabling running on the side stand in neutral. The bike needed a good warm up before it ran properly, fortunately it had a centre stand so you could leave it running for a while on that. (The choke was a lever on the carb so it was difficult to reach when sat on the bike). Also the side-stand switch itself was cheap and nasty and exposed to the elements so was prone to getting gunged up, so we ended up disconnecting it.
123hudy

Post by 123hudy »

Thank you for all your replies which are priceless to me, I thought that the engine should run for couple minutes before take off that's why I ask this question, anyway I gonna leave it as it is
Thank you again guys for lots of information and worm welcome

Wysłane z mojego D6503 przy użyciu Tapatalka