Fuel guage

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
Chaza

Fuel guage

Post by Chaza »

I have a dd125e8, this bike has no fuel guage. How difficult will it be to install a fuel guage.

Thanks
Chaza
bob121

Re: Fuel guage

Post by bob121 »

Modifying the tank to accept a sender unit. Or finding a tank that would fit your bike with the unit already present. Then there's the display and wiring it up. Or just open the cap and look inside the tank.
Chaza

Post by Chaza »

Thanks for that Bob, it's a bit hard to look in the tank when on a journey, but thanks for your input.

Chaza
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

In my experience the fuel gauges on modern bikes are so inaccurate they are virtually useless. All my bikes, old and modern have 'Reserve' taps. You could fit one more easily than fitting a gauge.
Most of us with bikes that never had a gauge have a habit of looking in the tank when we are checking the tyres and oil before we go out. Or we stop and look in the tank when out on a journey. I know roughly how far a full tank will take me. With the AJS 125 tank capacity of about 14 litres it'll take you around 250 miles. Or carry a spare litre on a long journey which should be enough for about 20 miles to a filing station. If you have a 'Trip' meter reset it when you fill up otherwise note the mileage.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I note the mileage as the trip meter stopped working, but that's the easiest way to go.

Just to explain about the "reserve" tap. It's another fuel tap wwith a fuel line fitted into the original fuel line with a T piece. In one of the taps, on old iron the right hand one (offside) there may be a small extension on the tap inside the tank. In the case of a "saddle" tank with a frame top member essentilly dividing the tank a bit that may not be absolutely necessary.

Fuel gives out on right hand side then switch to left hand side and get 20-25 miles more.

Johnny B