Where in China is the AJS Factory?

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
spookefoote1956

Where in China is the AJS Factory?

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Subject says it all. Where in China is the factory?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Re: Where in China is the AJS Factory?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I guess you mean which factory supplies the bikes badged as Ajays since according to Wikipedia there are more than 200 motorcycle manufacturers in China making more than 300 different marques. Many are the same basic machine which they or the importers convert, 'Pick 'n Mix' and/or upgrade with tweaked consumables to generate some degree of individual styling: Tyres, petrol tanks, mudguards, seats, chains, brake pads.......
If you Google you will find pages and pages of Chinese manufacturers,
https://www.made-in-china.com/manufactu ... cycle.html
most of which seem to offer for example 125cc and 250cc motorbikes at around four hundred to six hundred and fifty U.S. Dollars FOB for an order of 120 pieces (FOB = "Free On Board" which means that the buyer is responsible for carriage, insurance and freight after the supplier delivers it to the buyer's agent - (to all intents and purposes at the harbour quay).
I carried out a great deal of online and in-the-flesh research over a couple of months when looking for a modern 250. From my personal experience the Herald Classic 250 which I chose because it was available in black and gold (and which I rebadged 'Mutchless') is identical to the Sinnis Retrostar 250 except for upgraded rear suspension units, chrome 'guards, Royal Enfield rear carrier and Avon tyres.
Sinnis Roadstar 250 (640x457).jpg
My 'Mutchless' - Herald Classic 250
2016-05-21 Mutchless resized 009 (640x480).jpg
Out of interest I was told that my previous bike, bought new in 2015, a Honda CBF 125, was manufactured in China and shipped in kit form for final assembly in Poland in order that it would qualify as a European made and duty exempt finished product and the assembler could claim EEC grants/funding.
I doubt that Andover would tell you which factory makes their Ajay and it's not relevant as Andover manage the warranty and spares so I guess you'll have difficulty getting advice or bits for your 'Kate' special ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Sorry Spridds, I meant the actual location town / city of the factory. I'm making the tank decals in photoshop and want to do the "Plumstead" thing.

Cheers, Chris.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

No prob, Spooky.
I guess only Andover can tell you that.
However, since you're a ghost you could wander around the Andover premises to see if there's any i.d. stamped on the crates. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER wrote:No prob, Spooky.
I guess only Andover can tell you that.
However, since you're a ghost you could wander around the Andover premises to see if there's any i.d. stamped on the crates. ;)
Do not be fooled by what you may see. I have worked on products from the east. Silk screen printing over any thing eastern / Oriental, with known GB company info on the product. Dumping all eastern packing, then re packing in new boxes etc.
spookefoote1956

Xie Jiawan, Chongqing.