Difficult to start

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
frankboase

Difficult to start

Post by frankboase »

I now own a DD125E ❤ (I hope). S'where I have read that to replace the carburettor helps with the starting.
Anybody an suggestions? Thank you very much.
frankboase

Difficult to start

Post by frankboase »

I now own a DD125E.
have been told that it's a good idea to use carb cleaner.
May this be a problem with starting?
Thanks for your time
SPRIDDLER

Re: Difficult to start

Post by SPRIDDLER »

A worn carburettor can not only make starting difficult but it will affect general running.
You'll only get a benefit from carb cleaner if the carb is dirty inside. Using carb cleaner won't cause a problem with starting but it is of little benefit to just spray the cleaner into the air intake. To use carb cleaner effectively you need to remove the carb, strip and clean it. Are you competent to do that?
Whether your carb is worn will depend upon the engine running hours or mileage that the bike has covered.
Apologies if I'm wrong but I have the feeling that you are new to bikes (no prob; we all were once ;) ) but if you are going to remove anything or take it to bits you must take lots of photos before you start and at every step or believe me you WILL forget where or how bits fitted. Where there are carb adjusting screws screw them IN first and note the number turns open that they were before removing them.

Note that as a non-subscribing 'Guest' your posts are moderated before they appear on here to avoid scam and 'unwanted' contributions.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

What problem(s) are you experiencing with the bike Frank. Was it running when you bought it?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
frankboase

Post by frankboase »

Good Evening Spriddler,
Competent to strip and clean a carb, I barely know what one looks like!
And you absolutely right I'm new to the biking scene.
So any help I can get is more than appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
frankboase

Post by frankboase »

Good Evening Spookefoote,
Yes the bike was running when I bought it. But very difficult to start.
So any help I can get in any aspect of owning a DD125E is appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

If this is the twin cylinder, as I remember they have two individual 'cats', one in each exhaust and bolted in. If they are run for any period of time with the carbs not set up correctly they can collapse and break up. The debris tends to work its way into the whole exhaust system. If the carbs need working on then it's worth inspecting the cats to make sure they're ok. If they're not, there is a chance that the head may be warped, lowering the compression.
Last edited by bob121 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If you don't have a workshop manual for the bike (DD125E Raptor?) you can get a Haynes one which will take you through maintenance and repair procedures. I haven't seen one but Haynes have been producing manuals for virtually every m/bike, car etc. for many years.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/112263823127?c ... gINMPD_BwE

Did an Owners Manual come with it? Which year is it and how many miles has it covered? Have you twiddled with any of the carb settings or done anything else since you've had it?
I'm not familiar with your model and maybe someone more familiar will be along but does it have a manual choke? Do you have to pull in the clutch lever or raise the stand before the starter will operate?

No offence Frank, but it's almost impossible to diagnose your starting problem online as I suspect you don't know how to check for or how to to identify the symptoms other than "It doesn't start when I press the button". What do you mean exactly by 'difficult to start'? Does the starter motor operate reliably? Does it run o.k. once started? Is the battery fully charged? As you will now realise there are many unknown possibilities.
A new spark plug would be sensible.
Come back with answers to the above and we'll see if we can give you some guidance.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
frankboase

Post by frankboase »

[quote="SPRIDDLER"]A worn carburetor can not only make starting difficult but it will affect general running.
So, Spriddler what can I do to greatly improve the ease of starting? Bearing in mind that my technical skills are "limited" to pumping up tyres.
clive

Post by clive »

Spriddler asked a series of questions which may mean more advice is possible. Without more information is difficult to know what to suggest.
The other alternative is to take it to a dealer.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix