Difficult to start

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
Mick D

Re: Difficult to start

Post by Mick D »

Hi

According to the AJS bumf, the bike has 'Delphi' electronic fuel injection, so no carb.

Without wishing to cause offence Frank, I'd suggest you get the opinion of a dealer

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mick D wrote:Hi

According to the AJS bumf, the bike has 'Delphi' electronic fuel injection, so no carb.

Without wishing to cause offence Frank, I'd suggest you get the opinion of a dealer

Regards Mick
Certainly the new models have injection to meet emissions but the earlier versions had twin carbs. Without knowing what year it is we're slightly in the dark as to how best to help.
frankboase

Post by frankboase »

If this is the twin cylinder, as I remember they have two individual 'cats', one in each exhaust and bolted in.
Good Evening Bob, Ok today's stupid question, What's are "cats"?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

frankboase wrote:If this is the twin cylinder, as I remember they have two individual 'cats', one in each exhaust and bolted in.
Good Evening Bob, Ok today's stupid question, What's are "cats"?
Catalytic converters, another thing to stiffle power from a motorcycle to meet emissions. They're like honeycombs and placed in the pipes, sometimes welded in other times just pushed in, not sure on a DD 125.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

OK Frank, let's start with the basics. What year is the bike? Is it difficult to start from the kickstart? Does it have button start or both button and kick?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
frankboase

Post by frankboase »

Hi Spridder,
You asked, "Do you have to pull in the clutch lever or raise the stand before the starter will operate?"
Yes to both these points.
The make is (exactly) DD125E-8,
Engine, DD244 MI
(or maybe that's the other way round!)
The odometer shows 06204...humm
This morning I thought to look at the spark plug.....would you believe I couldn't find it :rofl:
The handbook advises what s/plug to use, but not where it is. :headbang:
I've said before, I really appreciate any help I can get.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

frankboase wrote:Hi Spridder,
You asked, "Do you have to pull in the clutch lever or raise the stand before the starter will operate?"
Yes to both these points.
The make is (exactly) DD125E-8,
Engine, DD244 MI
(or maybe that's the other way round!)
The odometer shows 06204...humm
This morning I thought to look at the spark plug.....would you believe I couldn't find it :rofl:
The handbook advises what s/plug to use, but not where it is. :headbang:
I've said before, I really appreciate any help I can get.
michelle.gif
Frank, listen very carefully. I shall say this (again) only once........

What year is it?
What exactly do you mean by 'difficult to start'?
Does the starter actually turn the engine? Does it pop or bang from the exhaust or just no noise apart from the mechanical noise of the starter turning the engine?
Does it ride o.k. when you get it started?
Is the battery fully charged?
Have you twiddled with any adjustments whilst trying to cure the problem?
I suggest that first you get the manual I suggested earlier as at the very least it will tell you where to find the sparkling plug, or as MickD suggested you take it to a dealer. You really need to be shown the basics. Do you not have an acquaintance who could give you some guidance?

EDIT
I've just had a look on the AJS website https://www.ajsmotorcycles.co.uk/dd12e-8-2 and as ajscomboman and MickD said it's a twin cylinder so it will have two s/plugs (one for each cylinder) and the later and current models have a fuel injection system instead of a carburettor.
AJS DD125-8.jpg
There are maybe only half a dozen owners of the modern AJS bikes who visit these Club forums so you'd probably do better on a specific Chinese m/bike forum. Just Google 'Chinese 125 motorbike forums' and you'll get several. Here's just one:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=188939
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
frankboase

Post by frankboase »

Hi Spridder,

What year is it?....I don't know, can find no reference to a year.

What exactly do you mean by 'difficult to start'?.....It sounds as though it wants to start but fails to fire.

Does the starter actually turn the engine?... Yes.
Does it pop or bang from the exhaust or just no noise apart from the mechanical noise of the starter turning the engine?... Just the mechanical noise.

Does it ride ok. when you get it started?.... Yes, but sluggish.

Is the battery fully charged?.... No way of knowing.

Have you twiddled with any adjustments whilst trying to cure the problem?.... The seller twiddled with the carburetor on the right hand side.

It has 2 carburetors.

Thanks for the references, and more importantly your time.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Surely the clues to it's year of manufacture are given via the number plate and v5 :?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

In an effort to move this on:

What year is it?....I don't know, can find no reference to a year. - Your registration document, (V5C), will record the year of manufacture.

What exactly do you mean by 'difficult to start'?.....It sounds as though it wants to start but fails to fire. - What makes you think it wants to run?

Does the starter actually turn the engine?... Yes. - This would suggest the battery condition is adequate.

Does it pop or bang from the exhaust or just no noise apart from the mechanical noise of the starter turning the engine?... Just the mechanical noise. - This suggests it's a fuel or timing issue.

Does it ride ok. when you get it started?.... Yes, but sluggish. - This suggests a timing issue to me.

Is the battery fully charged?.... No way of knowing. - It's pretty good because it's powering the starter.

Have you twiddled with any adjustments whilst trying to cure the problem?.... The seller twiddled with the carburetor on the right hand side. - Is going back to the seller for more information on starting and riding an option?

It has 2 carburettors. - Are you sure? Let us know the year of manufacture and we can advise you - carburettors and throttle bodies can look very similar to one who is unfamiliar with them.

Regards Mick