Help with a non start engine

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
paulbooth

Post by paulbooth »

ok i am a complete novice with bikes but i am trying to get into it in a big way, i have always loved the ajs style bikes so bought my self one the other day, when i purchased it, it hadnt been run properly for nearly a year and the engine started fine but wouldnt stay on tick over i spoke to a friend and he said it was because its old fuel which i can live with and i will drain the tank and replace

when i got it back (brought back on a friends trailer) i went to start it and now it just wont start i think the engine is flooded but i have no idea how to sort it out, i cant get it in to the garage tho because i cant ride it there and at present its my only form off transport

any ideas on how to un-flood the engine would be great????

cheers

P
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi Paul, welcome to the club/website.
Firstly, it'll help if you tell us what model youve bought..check for numbers stamped into the engine casing at the base of the barrel, left hand side as you sit on the bike.
Next, if the bike is flooded, best to take the spark plug out, dry it off, check for spark by fitting the plug cap back on and making sure the plug is earthed against the fins.
If it is flooded, turn petrol off, hold throttle open and give it half a dozen good kicks.. that should clean most the mixture out. DONT DO THIS WITH THE PLUG NEAR THE HOLE AND IGNITION ON!!! It could catch light!
After a year the carb may well be gummed up with stale petrol, so you'll probably have to give it a good clean and blow the jets through. If youve got a nice BLUE spark, id be inclined to leave that alone.
Hope this helps
Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi Paul...OK...you maybe the first!!! Ive checked your profile and it says youve got an AJS Regal Raptor...which I beleive is one of the far east built bikes..a 125??
Disregard the engine number bit..and be aware this site primarily relates to the classic British AJS and Matchless bikes made up until about 1968.
Some here will be sniffy about your bike, but not me! The rest of the advice I gave is fine, although you may have electric start, so hold the start button and throttle wide open for perhaps 10 seconds..leave the plug in for this. It MAY fire up..still sounds like a blocked jet though..so will need the carb cleaning, sorry.
Is yours a custom/cruiser styled thing??
Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
paulbooth

Post by paulbooth »

Hi thanks for the help, iv got to prove to the better half that i will keep up the intrest before she will let me buy an old one to restore lol

yer the bike is a electric start when i tried to push start in first it started to turn over but only a little but then just cut out so i dont think its anything too serious and after reading a few forums it appears that its better to do this in 2nd but i dont even drive a car so its all new to me, i am going to recharge the battery as well to see if this helps, the wired thing is that it was starting until i caught the choke then it would start again but i will try what you have said 2mrow when i get back from work and let you know

thanks again

paulbooth

Post by paulbooth »

sorry should have been "until i caught the choke then it wouldnt start again"