ajs regal raptor dd125e

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
telboy

ajs regal raptor dd125e

Post by telboy »

hi i have been told that bypassing the exeorst emissions valves on each side of the engine (ie blanking off the outlet ports so all exeorse excapes through the exeorst pipes ) will improve performance but can any one tell me if it will harm the engine cheers
SPRIDDLER

ajs regal raptor dd125e

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hi Terry.
The experience of the posters on this site is mainly of the British AJS (and Matchless) machines made from the 1920's up to about early 1970's when the factory closed.
If you are looking for more power I suggest that you'd be better off getting a more powerful bike rather than risking problems by experimenting with the zorst emission valves ....since Wikepedia says of the Chinese AJS's:

Quote:
A modern version of AJS has been established, and, although based in Britain they now import cheap Chinese bikes. Various models bearing the old AJS style logo have been rolled off production lines and the modern AJS website promotes the idea that it is the very same company. Unfortunately the modern bikes are renowned for poor performance and are reported to be unreliable and badly built, the most renowned of these being the EOS, a harley davidson-esque 125.
End of quote.

Why not put the question to the manufacturer?
Hopefully your Chinese is pretty fluentEdited by - SPRIDDLER on 22 Jul 2010 12:30:16 AMEdited by - SPRIDDLER on 22 Jul 2010 11:23:26 AM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'

ajs regal raptor dd125e

Post by 1608 »

Oh Spriddler, you are a 'wag'.
dave16mct

ajs regal raptor dd125e

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Terry,
the system may be similar to the Hinkley Triumph Bonneville's , to make them run lean. Removing it may make it run rich. I think you would be better to leave it standard and use it as it is. Cheers Dave.
Chazzyb

ajs regal raptor dd125e

Post by Chazzyb »

The system on the Hinckley product is to admit air into the exhaust when the throttle is closed, to ensure that any unburnt fuel does get burnt - in the exhaust. That, I understand, is why their pipes blue. There are kits available to blank off the holes, once removed. Zero performance benefit.
Charles
g80csp11

ajs regal raptor dd125e

Post by g80csp11 »

Neville , a little harsh.

You really do need to be nicer to other 'AJS' owners

There is room in the club for everyone and It must be better to have yougsters buy a imported , badged AJS and then find that the original bikes still exist . with the ever reducing numbers of club members we need all the help possible to attract new members even if they buy a imported AJS first . there are many imported bikes made in China / India etc.. that have poor build quality eventually they will improve and do have there place . Just look at the Royal Enfields much better than they were - not that I would buy one.

SPRIDDLER

ajs regal raptor dd125e

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
Neville , a little harsh.

You really do need to be nicer to other 'AJS' owners

There is room in the club for everyone and It must be better to have yougsters buy a imported , badged AJS and then find that the original bikes still exist .

I totally agree Peter. I quoted Wikepedia since I do not have any first-hand knowledge of the bikes, only 'corridor noises' and maybe Terry doesn't realise that experimenting with an allegedly.....shall we say 'unforgiving' engine is not a good idea.
My post was intended to be constructive and to save him some grief when it all goes tyres-up.
Since there doesn't seem to be a website for these machines I was wondering if we could get Eammon to add a 'Chinese AJS Help/General' category to the message board so they have somewhere to go? After all we are offering one as second prize in the club raffle.

Later:
Just found 27 reviews of the Raptor on this bike reviewing website.
This guy with 24K miles experience definitely didn't like his but to be fair 86% of the reviewers (mostly new riders) did:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/review410464.htmlEdited by - SPRIDDLER on 22 Jul 2010 9:59:00 PMEdited by - SPRIDDLER on 22 Jul 2010 10:03:03 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'