starts but wont tick over

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
dundee kev

Post by dundee kev »

hi i have just got my first bike its a ajs rgal raptor 125 bought it till i get through test and get a bigger one . i having a prob it starts easy on the choke but after just a few min it dies if i keep the revs hig it will keep running but as soon as i let them off it dies can anyone tell me what i would be able to check first or would putting a cleaner in the fuel help this for a easy fix?

thanks for any help u can give
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

Find out where the
"Slow Running Screw is " ? .The one to adjust the Speed,at Tick over.Turn it in a 1/4 of a turn and see if the tick over inproves.
First though Your Dealer that sold it to you should be able to help?.
Ride with Care and Live long
r w webb
dundee kev

Post by dundee kev »

thanks i will give it a try i didnt buy from dealer its not a new bike its an 06 (cheap to get practice for my test just )

Post by 1608 »

Just in case you didn't know, the slow running jet ajusts the mixture / air for slow running at tick-over. The throttle stop is a diferent screw. Having said all that I don't know what carb these bikes are fitted with , but most carbs have this arrangement.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Kev
Seems obvious but.........
Whatever you do make a note of where all the screws were set (e.g. how many turns from open or shut or how much you've turned them) before you start twiddling with them so that you can at least return the settings to where they were at the beginning.
Fuel cleaner won't do any damage but if you can see any filter(s) in the fuel pipes (I've never seen a Raptor) it is worthwhile checking that they are not gunged up.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dundee kev

Post by dundee kev »

thanks for your help guys got it going out for first ride today gr8 fun
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

Thats what i like to hear ,"Out for a Ride".
Take care and hope for manny miles of Enjoyment.
Ride with Care and Live long
r w webb
Marchless

Post by Marchless »

If the adjustments won,t cure it best strip/clean/rebuild the carb.If the bike has been stood the stale petrol can gum up the pilot jet /small holed jet in the float chamber. Other than that check the exhaust/Inlet valve clearences as they tighten up (Made ofCheap metal)Edited by - Marchless on 27 Feb 2011 11:49:29 PM
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Yup, Spriddler is right-As you all now, I have the standard 125-not the "custom" model-They run very "lean" because of emission regs, mine would "tickover O.K. but when warm would "race" -cured by half a turn on the air mixture screw!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings