New AJS Bobber 125!!!!

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
iamneal

New AJS Bobber 125!!!!

Post by iamneal »

are they REALLY that bad?

Iv seen a few people with these now and had no more trouble with these than any other bikes out there.

I was looking at getting one myself to ride on a cbt and get some road time in before i do a test.
neal.
orbinrangle

New AJS Bobber 125!!!!

Post by orbinrangle »

You're dealing with us opinionated old fogeys that wouldn't be seen dead on one, myself included. But then I also have a penchant for all things Leyland including Maxis, Allegros and Princesses.
Live and let live--if you find something you like about those bikes, enjoy them and have fun.
R J Rawle
paul knapp

New AJS Bobber 125!!!!

Post by paul knapp »

............well,.... I can't say that I have ever seen one of these Chinese bikes on the road here, either branded AJS or anything else. I have asked at several major motorcycle dealerships who handle a multitude of brands, but the only response was a frown and a head shake.

Though I am typing this post on a Chinese made keyboard attached to a Chinese 'puter, while sitting on a Chinese made swivel chair having just had lunch of dim sims eaten from a plate made in china and washed down with tea from a mug with 'china' stamped on the bloody bottom!.
My slippers, tracky daks, jocks, shirt and even the beanie on my head, all of which I am wearing now all have the same mark 'CHINA' !

...The 'end is nigh'
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

rex.webb

New AJS Bobber 125!!!!

Post by rex.webb »

SAME HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIDE with CARE and
LIVE LONG to ENJOY your BIKES
r w webb
Merlin

New AJS Bobber 125!!!!

Post by Merlin »

The 'end is nigh'

Nigh already bloody happened.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Dick Hobart

New AJS Bobber 125!!!!

Post by Dick Hobart »

Let's be fair - the advert correctly says 'sought after'. 'Sort after' is the term used by sellers of many British bikes on eBay (not AMC of course!). Personally I think it's overpriced and although I love rigids I'd rather have a G3L or RE mod G any day, but surely this is a matter of 'each to their own', and as long as folk are enjoying themselves on two wheels and harming no one else then who are we to comment?!
iamneal

New AJS Bobber 125!!!!

Post by iamneal »

i guess thats the best way to look at it, if your enjoying it and having fun then i dont see the harm.

Regardless of what make or model people are riding, you should be happy to help them in anyway you can!
neal.
Sezzastar

New AJS Bobber 125!!!!

Post by Sezzastar »

Sorry to dig up an old grave here!

What do you all think about the new AJS motorcycles out now? I was talking to a local dealers and he claimed that they had become better over the years and the new 2012 models were made without the niggly bits that people were complaining about before. I am interested in having a daytona as i love cruisers, getting a bit bored of my old intruder now and shes becoming unreliable.

Anyway, I am doing some research into the daytona before I lay my money down. The only thing that worries me is how many cheap AJS motorcycles I can find with very low mileage, is there something Im missing? Maybe I should just get a honda shadow...
bigwol

New AJS Bobber 125!!!!

Post by bigwol »

Dont know enough about them to comment, other than to say I do know someone with another chinese bike of similar style who wishes he had spent the money restoring his knackered old Intruder instead. The Shadow will doubtless be decent build quality and reliable. The "AJS" may also be ok, but who knows? One reason there are lots around being off loaded could be they are learner bikes and people pass the test and move on. Another of course could be they are troublesome. A member on here, who has posted on this thread, has done considerable mileage on his "modern AJS" and seems satisfied. Pay your money and take your chances.
It's all just riding motorbikes
SPRIDDLER

New AJS Bobber 125!!!!

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome the Forum, Sarah.
I've not owned one but have often visited/chatted with a local "AJS" dealer and shared our old bikes exhibition stands with them at bike shows etc. a few times.
They use eight 125's for their Rider Training business, apparently without any problems. I believe that most of the dealers buy in the bikes disassembled and crated as kits and assemble them themselves. Nothing wrong with that provided that they are competent. They also say that the niggly early problems are being sorted - mostly electrical issues, plus rusting of bought-in accessories; hooters, suspension units, chrome-ware. Mind you, all of the bike parts are bought-in by the 'manufacturer' in China and the same bikes appear in the U.K. under various 'makers' names.
You're right though, loads of low mileage ones available s/hand and rapid depreciation occurs. Partly because new ones are so 'cheap' and partly because reliability seems to be variable and the (mostly youngsters) who own them neglect maintenance. From the postings on here the after-sales back-up (servicing, parts, advice etc) is patchy or non-existant in many areas. This no doubt leads to poor maintenance.
It also depends what you use a bike for (commuting, college, local pasty collection?) .
Forgive me if I appear patronising, but if I were advising my non-mechanical and 'vulnerable' daughter (or my son), in the event of a breakdown in rural Cornwall, I'd say her priority was reliability, good local servicing and parts back-up, then style. She wouldn't take any notice of course but it won't seem so 'cool' when broken down at night on a drizzly moor. But then I'm well past the first flush of acne
In a nutshell I'd recommend a new or even s/hand mainstream Jap bike such as Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki, from a reputable local dealer.
Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 24 Jul 2012 1:52:35 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'