Thinking about a new AJS, Help....

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

quote:
But she who likes to be obeyed is not keen on me riding in next year's W H! Says I'm getting too old to be wandering around the countryside in the middle of the night,

Isn't wandering around in the middle of the night something that happens when you get old? Often in pajamas and slippers and not knowing where exactly it is you live?
It's all just riding motorbikes
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

You are quite right, Dave, but not on a motorcycle !
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Couldn't even go on my annual continental wanderings this year due to what happened on my wanderings on the WH. Never mind there's always next year!
v max nomad

Post by v max nomad »

quote:

Thought it would be a good idea to register and get some owner knowledge and input before I let my eyes rule my head...

I am new to biking, going to arrange my CBT and possibly do a full test straight away, depends on the bike,so I’m looking around at bikes...

I Won the Wife over on the idea that it would be a cruiser not a sport (safer of course!!),Also needs to be economical with the current climate a toy and part time commuter needs to be cheap to fill up and run.

I have a AJS dealer near to where I live (5 mins ) and I’m nipping in tomorrow to have a look...

I have had a look on reviews on the internet and the new Chinese produced AJS’s have a mixed review. I believe the MK2 (2011- on) bikes are much better, styling they look great and was wondering about performance and living with it? I know the bike shares DNA with the Johnny Pag bikes which have a good right up...

I want to use the bike as a 50 mile commuter, none rush-hour, on B roads and also for the wife to jump on the back off and to the sea side for the day, you know the dream life of all bikers!!

Question’s then....

•Do you recommend the new AJS bikes? Should I put my money in a VXS Dragstar or similar?

•Is a 125cc going to do the commute, hills and take the wife out all without coughing, struggling up every hill and holding up traffic?

•Is the 125cc any good with it not being fuel injected, economy, running and maintance?

•Do I need the 350cc injection instead of the 125cc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don’t want to get it wrong!!

Cheers Rich

v max nomad

Post by v max nomad »

like shirt, I decided to register to see if anyone had info on the new chinese AJS, I had got my eye on the new 350 (not the ugly cruiser) which looks quite interesting.
As an EX owners club member of many years standing I knew there would be a lot of negative comments - as there were about it ill fated matchless G-80 resurrection a few years back.
I agree with most of the comments about the 125 for two up work, but it depends where and how a person wants to ride.
I recently rode a Chinese 125 cruiser from the lake district to Scarborough for a friend, a 150 mile trip going via Ingleton, Hawes and Leyburn and was pleasantly surprised at how it handled the journey.
I also own a Shelung 125 twist and go scooter that I keep at my holiday home in the south lakes and find this adequete as a run around and have taken this little auto over the hardknott pass, no mean feat, I have also had camping weekends with it.
Am I an old pottering nerd, well not really, my other bikes are a G-12csr which I have had since my teen years, a Yamaha FJ1200 and a Yamaha V Max. so you would think the lack of power with these small bikes would put me off, but this is not so.
I noticed negative comments about these bikes as they are not AMC,
It seems that there is clouded memories or people too young to remember AMC as this "badge engineering" conglomerate was largely responsible for the downfall of the AJS/Matchless/Norton,James and Fanny Barnett names, the build quality was crap, the back up and spares situation was non existant and a take it or leave it, were all right Jack attitude prevailed throughout the company.
I originally quit the owners club due to a lot of the "purists" attitude (around the ill fated G-80 resurrection period) after some 20 years, we all have a love of two wheels, so let's accept that AJS are now made in China and accept them for what they are.

V Max Nomad
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Chinese (and Indian) built bikes will be more and more common in years to come. As with the early rice burners the engineering and build quality will improve and match everything else out there. Many of the Jap manufacturers (and for components some of the Europeans too) use Asian plants already, especially with small engine machines. At the moment Chinese bikes are cheap and in some cases i'm afraid you really do get what you pay for but they are getting better all the time but the old view that it's not an AJS unless it was made in Plumstead won't go away.
I can never understand why, as there is a seperate area for modern ajs, those with such a negative view of these bikes contribute to or even read the posts in that area.
It's all just riding motorbikes
Baldone

Post by Baldone »

Greetings all, I'm new to here and a Modern AJS Eos 125 owner. It is problem free, climbs hills easily and works in the rain. Any bike can develop problems regardless of make, my last bike a 1984 CBX 750 spent more time in the workshop than on the road.

Apparently AJS are still a family run business, the bikes are made in China, this is true, at the same factory the CG Honda engine and the YBR yamaha engine is made.

My philosophy is this, a motorcycle is a motorcycle, it doesn't matter if it's a 50cc or a 2300cc Rocket III, we all share the road. I give the nod to any biker approaching. We all share the same road. So if people want to purchase a modern AJS, as I have done, please don't slate them, Chinese engineering has come a long way in a very short time, so please offer the same respect we show other riders, after all we all have one thing in common, we're all bikers.

Peace and ride safe

For the modern AJS owners, there is this newly formed club I started.

www.facebook.com/groups/majsoc/
Seasoned biker now back on 2 wheels after 23 years
NoodleHead

Post by NoodleHead »

Perhaps its nostalgia that stops some bikers from recognising the changes in motorcycle manufacturing. I hope its not hostility! I am sure even the most die-hard British bike owner will come to terms with the new kid on the block. Chinese manufacturing quality has rightly been criticised, but as I understand, since signing world trade agreements big improvements have been made not just to powered two wheelers but to all exported products.

AJS Regal Raptor DD125E-5 Eos
Lifeng Group www.regal-raptor.com
orbinrangle

Post by orbinrangle »

Not there yet. Recently bought a chainsaw (should have known better), chain brake does not work and it regularly throws it's chain. The latter is clearly down to poor design. It's bl**dy downright dangerous.
Utter trash that does their reputation no favours.
R J Rawle
NoodleHead

Post by NoodleHead »

Who is the manufacturer? What is the name/model? Did you buy it from a reputable dealer? Have you returned it for replacement or refund?