Thinking about a new AJS, Help....

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
shirt_r

Post by shirt_r »

Thought it would be a good idea to register and get some owner knowledge and input before I let my eyes rule my head...

I am new to biking, going to arrange my CBT and possibly do a full test straight away, depends on the bike,so I’m looking around at bikes...

I Won the Wife over on the idea that it would be a cruiser not a sport (safer of course!!),Also needs to be economical with the current climate a toy and part time commuter needs to be cheap to fill up and run.

I have a AJS dealer near to where I live (5 mins ) and I’m nipping in tomorrow to have a look...

I have had a look on reviews on the internet and the new Chinese produced AJS’s have a mixed review. I believe the MK2 (2011- on) bikes are much better, styling they look great and was wondering about performance and living with it? I know the bike shares DNA with the Johnny Pag bikes which have a good right up...

I want to use the bike as a 50 mile commuter, none rush-hour, on B roads and also for the wife to jump on the back off and to the sea side for the day, you know the dream life of all bikers!!

Question’s then....

•Do you recommend the new AJS bikes? Should I put my money in a VXS Dragstar or similar?

•Is a 125cc going to do the commute, hills and take the wife out all without coughing, struggling up every hill and holding up traffic?

•Is the 125cc any good with it not being fuel injected, economy, running and maintance?

•Do I need the 350cc injection instead of the 125cc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don’t want to get it wrong!!

Cheers Rich
Nearly got the wife to agree, Now just need to find the bike...
itma

Post by itma »

just ask yourself why there are so many almost new AJS on offer on ebay.

quote: I Won the Wife over on the idea that it would be a cruiser not a sport safer of course!!,

do not delude yourself
all motorcyclists are at risk from tosspot car drivers irrespective of the style of bike they ride.

a 125 will struggle to fill the jobs you are asking it to do in that list.

Get a Honda, if you must it will have some resale value.

quote: styling they look great
yes always chose a bike on its looks rather than its quality

Those dragstar styled 10ft joke bikes are absolutely the wrong choice of bike for anyone let alone a learner.
I wouldnt even consider letting someone take part in a CBT test if they turned up on one.

well you did ask. You got the bigot answer first.

It would help if you gave more info in your profile.

Edited by - itma on 17 Apr 2012 7:15:25 PM
shirt_r

Post by shirt_r »

From reading your other posts 'itma' your advice has to be taken with a pinch of salt one presumes...

I am not “Deluded” about bikes being a risky mode of transport, of course I was being sarcastic in reference to the sports bike v’s the cruiser...

“yes always chose (choose) a bike on its looks” I am of course considering the quality that’s why I am on here asking the questions...

I am unsure what the issue is with XVS dragstars and similar bikes ie Harleys etc as there are many owners that love those bikes....

I presume that you are not a new AJS owner, so thanks for the reply but I am after constructive criticism from an actual owner...
Edited by - shirt_r on 17 Apr 2012 7:32:35 PM
itma

Post by itma »

when it comes to the sort of bike you are asking about you are on the wrong forum.

when it comes to the sort of bike you are asking about I am deadly serious.
If you don't like or get the answer you want,don't ask

At the end
your money your choice.

quote: I am unsure what the issue is with XVS dragstars and similar bikes ie Harleys

seems to me you are a troll on a wind up about custom machines
shirt_r

Post by shirt_r »

"when it comes to the sort of bike you are asking about you are on the wrong forum"
This is the only AJS owners club and its a AJS company bike, ok made in china but moving with the times....

"If you don't like or get the answer you want,don't ask" ok

"seems to me you are a troll on a wind up about custom machines" - I have no idea what your on about but thanks or not, no idea

Anyway any other suggestions from current AJS owners please....
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Rich.
I haven't ridden a Chinese Ajay but do have some experience of my sons' Honda 125's which they bought and used briefly after doing their CBT's as first bikes. (They both commute all year on Kawasaki 650's now).
The Honda 125 costs nearly 3 grand IIRC and the Ajay about £1500. As ITMA says, you get what you pay for, and that includes Honda's excellent after-sale back-up, an essential feature of ownership, which from some of the posts on here is very patchy (if not non-existent) with some Chinese Ajay 'dealers' who appear to be merely 'stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap' chancers.
Unless you and your wife are fairy weights a 125 would struggle and you'd soon get fed up with the lack of ooomph on hills and into headwinds etc.
That said, my local Chinese Ajay dealer uses 7 of the Ajay 125s for their CBT courses which they would not do if the bikes were constantly letting them down. They also stock the spares and are experienced motorcycle engineers.
My advice would be to use a training centre's 125 for your CBT before buying your own bike - an Ajay preferably so that you get first hand experience. If you haven't ridden a bike before a 125 will seem quite 'fast' but that feeling will soon wear off once you've travelled out of town a bit and on bustling dual carriageways - especially two-up.
I guess you're considering the Ajay on the basis of its low cost but bear in mind that its resale value will be mnimal after a year and a secondhand one will possibly have been poorly maintained.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
itma

Post by itma »

quote: This is the only AJS owners club and its a AJS company bike, ok made in china but moving with the times....

yep a troll.
regular as clockwork
bringing up the same old stuff
always with one of the weird joke customs rather than something sensible like spriddler mentions,

VXS 125 Dragstar made by Yamaha, deffo wrong forum
Edited by - itma on 17 Apr 2012 10:16:08 PM
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

All this talk of 'Chinese bikes', I have never seen one here. I have asked at several large motorcycle dealers if they will be stocking them, but all i got was a puzzled look and a head shake.
I recall that there was one importer of Chinese 'pit bikes'? over 10 years ago.....100-125cc, that was unable to get them road registered due to poor build quality that didn't come up to OZ safety standards. They were relegated to being off road 'paddock bashers'.
I have had Honda's in my shed since the early 1970's for work commuting and general weekend tearing about, and I wouldn't look past them for reliability, economy, build quality, ETC....OH, and power.
I know this isn't the answer you are looking for Rich, but I am only trying to give you another opinion which you can weigh up.

Paul.
P.S. if you want to lug your missus about, (hills?) I wouldn't be looking at anything under a 250cc, preferrably a single for the torque.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

carlos

Post by carlos »

Hi
I bought my AJS Raptor cheap as a do it up job just to use for a bit of fun in the summer as I also have a race sachs xtc 125 that I have just fininshed doing up, paid £500 for my AJS 125, the black 2009 model with just 1,800 miles, it had been off the road since 2010 and left to rot so did not run etc,
Parts can be found second hand with not much of a prob,and new ones as well, after stripping the carb, and some new jets, ripping out the air filter and replacing with an aftermarket K & N type air filter and crank filter it runs ok, still working on it but thats just sorting out the chrome/paint etc, It was quite suprising that it had not rotted in all the time it was left outside, most of the rust is just surface and it will come up ok.
So all in all a cheap good looking 125 bike that looks more like at least a 250cc, however I would not pay £1,700 for a new one, plenty on ebay for under a grand 18 months old, and if your handy with repairs you can find some for £600 - £800 that just need some tlc.
It would struggle with 2 people on it going up hill's etc but for a single rider as a first bike I think it's great considering the styling and cost.
If your going to do your test staright away I would not buy one of these, I would use the training peoples bike and then look for a 250cc Yamaha Dragstar/Virago my self, a nice one of these can be found for £1,500 easy, will handle 2 people ok and would get you by till you either do your advanced or wait the 2 years and then get any size cc you want.
Just my thoughts.
Carl
wilko

Post by wilko »

I don't know why we even have this section? Can we get rid of it! They have nothing to do with AMC bikes!