Thinking about a new AJS, Help....

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

quote:
Sorry David, George Orwell's real name was Eric Blair.

You learn such a lot on this forum!
It's all just riding motorbikes
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

"Sportonilla"
Sound OK to me !
What is the World coming to next .
Ride with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your Bikes and Scooters.
Insured with Peter James.
r w webb
shirt_r

Post by shirt_r »

Wow, where this post has gone, I don’t think anyone would have predicted....

Thanks again for all your advice, One slight set back, besides this god dam rain….

One of my wife’s clients has been killed on his motorbike riding through a park. Car Driver turning across the bikers lane, didn’t see him and that was it for him. He left 3 kids under 10 behind. Its so sad, but we all know that there are risks to bike riding, no airbags and crumple zones… oh and blind drivers of course,. I suppose it wouldn’t have mattered if he was on a peddlecycle or motorcycle, the driver still didn’t see him (the start of my argument)…
So she’s right off bikes at the mo… I have quiet a risky and confrontational job so could come a cropper at work, so why not have fun with a bike. Although my wife see’s it as doubling the risk… Still don’t think she’s coming round, although she did mention getting a bike in front of a friend today in a positive light so there’s hope…. I’m still looking but not pushing it, she'll warm…Edited by - shirt_r on 25 Apr 2012 8:59:51 PM
Nearly got the wife to agree, Now just need to find the bike...
itma

Post by itma »

Very sad but a good reason to get properly trained on a' proper bike'.

the other driver involved did not just "not see him" but just didn't look, or didn't care.
this does not prove bike to be dangerous, just vulnerable.

In 50 years on a bike I have had some near misses but only ever hurt myself through my own actions mostly off road.
I have had only 'near misses' because I treat any approaching motorcar as hostile and out to get me.

A very emotive subject this, how many people does your wife know of that have been killed or injured in a car? Doesn't stop her riving/ riding in one though.

In my bigoted view its down to the British obsession with cars as status symbols, for aggressive,/ selfish/ dangerous careless driving I have found to be categorised by car brand, certain being worse than others for certain kinds of bad driving.
I hate Audis, BMWs Volvos BMW minis for that reason and treat them all as a loaded gun pointing my way, and why I have only had near misses.

I also learnt not long ago that women have very poor spacial awareness and cannot judge oncoming speed accurately, which explains the number of the women drivers that are looking right at me as they pull out in front of me.

Keep at it , gently, and you have discovered another reason I am so vehemently against freak bikes that cannot be controlled properly nor have sufficient power to get out of harms way.

There are plenty of old geezers on here that have decades of safe riding under their belts.
shirt_r

Post by shirt_r »

quote:
how many people does your wife know of that have been killed or injured in a car? Doesn't stop her riving/ riding in one though.

I shall save that quote for later...

Without giving what I do away too much on here, I'm an advanced trained driver, which helps me with my observations greatly. I'm always expecting the drivers to do something unexpected infront of me so will always leave a reaction gap, I think this can only aid my bike riding... That and I know a couple of advanced bike riders so will be getting a few hints and tips from them...
Nearly got the wife to agree, Now just need to find the bike...
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Yes and one silly old sod who fell off on a charity event in the middle of the night when he looked down to read his route card!
itma

Post by itma »

well if you are shy about your job, that fine but if it helps there are a couple of old plod-ers on here.

Post by 1608 »

Who you calling old!
Janet

Post by Janet »

quote:
Wow, where this post has gone, I don’t think anyone would have predicted....

Thanks again for all your advice, One slight set back, besides this god dam rain….

One of my wife’s clients has been killed on his motorbike riding through a park.........

..........So she’s right off bikes at the mo… My mother-in-law hated motorbikes and didn't want her family riding the dangerous things because an uncle was killed on one. Although that was true, what she didn't tell people was that he got killed during WW2 when the army bike he was riding while on duty ran over a landmine.

Riding motorcycles has its dangers, such as old duffers who should know better not looking where they're going in the middle of the night (Mike, is your wife letting you out on your own yet? , ) but there are dangers everywhere in life. Trick number 1 is to become as skilled as possible in avoiding them most of the time. Trick number 2 is to become as skilled as possible in getting out of trouble when trick number 1 failed.

I don't suppose your wife does any horse riding? If so, get her to look up statistics on injuries from horsey accidents, in particular head injuries, which are worse than for motorcycle accidents.
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

I'm always expecting the drivers to do something unexpected infront of me so will always leave a reaction gap.

If only we could allways do just that . !!!!!!

RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to
ENJOY your Bikes and Scooters .
r w webb