Matchless G5 back on the road

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Matchless G5 back on the road

Post by Ozmadman »

Al_Bolton wrote:They all do that whine sir...it can/could be due to someone running the box low of oil...allegedly. My 8 and G5 whine a bit, but it's not a big deal. The boxes are okish to rebuild, but parts can be a pain - even finding bearings is a nuisance. There's a good article on rebuilding a ?G2 box somewhere in the Archives.

They aren't too difficult to swap out.

Cheers, Al
Hi Al
I have rebuilt a box but was wondering what to look for when trying to cure the whine ie: what is actually whining and why (worn teeth, bushes etc)

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Yes - probably all of what you've listed! I have limited gearbox spares so just used what I had to hand which was in the best shape, though nothing I used looked excessively worn but of course there's always the problem of using old components which haven't worn together.

Maybe they really all did it from new? Be interesting to hear from other Lightweight owners.

I fitted the rebuilt box I have last night and that whines in third too, though it's barely detectable. Gear changes are smoother now though. I'll rebuild the old G5 box sometime soon.

I always use SAE 50 oil in these boxes - I did try SAE 30 when I first got the M8 but it was noticeably whinier...

Al
Ozmadman wrote:
Al_Bolton wrote:They all do that whine sir...it can/could be due to someone running the box low of oil...allegedly. My 8 and G5 whine a bit, but it's not a big deal. The boxes are okish to rebuild, but parts can be a pain - even finding bearings is a nuisance. There's a good article on rebuilding a ?G2 box somewhere in the Archives.

They aren't too difficult to swap out.

Cheers, Al
Hi Al
I have rebuilt a box but was wondering what to look for when trying to cure the whine ie: what is actually whining and why (worn teeth, bushes etc)

Paul
wilko

Post by wilko »

Fill it full of banana skins!