G 5

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
ksj_LAPSED

G 5

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

there is a G 5 for sale in an antique shop in Burford original paint & a runner apparantly I couldnt see it cos there was only one person in the shop , they are asking £ 1850 for it .
Ozmadman

Re: G 5

Post by Ozmadman »

ksj wrote:there is a G 5 for sale in an antique shop in Burford original paint & a runner apparently I couldn't see it cos there was only one person in the shop , they are asking £ 1850 for it .
It would have to be a good example of one with virtually no work to do on it for that money. I love my Model 8 (same as G5) lightweight but for some reason they, at this point in time, don't command the sort of money I think they deserve. If it is in good nick and you like it then make him a lot lower offer and see what he says (times are hard you never know), buy it cos you like it don't buy it to make money on it cos you won't, no at the moment anyway.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Although slightly more modern than the Heavyweights, they cost just as much to restore (maybe more!) so I definitely agree with what Paul has said. They also have some interesting and annoying querks which can take some hunting around both for parts and info to sort out. Luckily, much of that info is here now!

But when put together properly, the Lightweights are super little bikes, and quicker than the Heavyweights.

Price-wise, they do make more money now than they did (not just because of inflation) as some people find them easier to get on with due to their relative lightness than larger machines - especially as one gets on a bit...

Burford being Burford - prices are high...definitely make a low offer and work from there. Post some pics before buying though so we can advise you about how original it is. ;)
Al
Ozmadman wrote:
ksj wrote:there is a G 5 for sale in an antique shop in Burford original paint & a runner apparently I couldn't see it cos there was only one person in the shop , they are asking £ 1850 for it .
It would have to be a good example of one with virtually no work to do on it for that money. I love my Model 8 (same as G5) lightweight but for some reason they, at this point in time, don't command the sort of money I think they deserve. If it is in good nick and you like it then make him a lot lower offer and see what he says (times are hard you never know), buy it cos you like it don't buy it to make money on it cos you won't, no at the moment anyway.

Paul
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Al is right, Even though I did all the work on my bike myself, including ALL the panel work and tank painting, some of the spares are expensive (fork stanchions at £122 a pair is a good example) and it stands me in more than I would get for it if I sold it even though it is now a lovely example, but for me that's not why I own it. I own it because I like it and whilst it is there to take for a spin on nice sunny days it gives me pleasure that I am riding about on a bit of history, on a bike 53 years old, on something individual and different. If you are thinking of buying it then do as Al says and take some pics and get back on here for some pointers on things to look out for and check..

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed