G5 blown head gasket

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
paul knapp

Re: G5 blown head gasket

Post by paul knapp »

Nope, aluminium remains soft, only the copper 'work hardens' in use requiring annealing.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

UPDATE! 300 miles later, and one retorque at about 100 miles (all bolts tight), the head gasket has remained unblown. Performance is pretty good (will touch 70-75 MPH) as well but when the bike is hot, the engine is noisy - looks like the bottom end will be next for review. But that can wait until next winter!!!!

Spring's coming - time for a Lightweight meet up!

Al
Matchless_Mayhem

Post by Matchless_Mayhem »

Loved reading through the thread Al... sounds as if you persisted through the 'dark hours' and now have the warmer weather to look forward to on a bike that's pretty much, on song!
Who, me!?
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Thanks, I am pleased to entertain - next job will be replacing the gearlever return spring, as it's weak. These frequently break. Not a complex job but I'll wait until it's a bit warmer as I have to work on my driveway and the gearbox oil needs draining, blah blah...

Al
Matchless_Mayhem wrote:Loved reading through the thread Al... sounds as if you persisted through the 'dark hours' and now have the warmer weather to look forward to on a bike that's pretty much, on song!