Replace those switch sockets!

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Al_Bolton

Replace those switch sockets!

Post by Al_Bolton »

My 1960 G5 has the original wiring loom...complete with the ghastly resistance wire which spirits away excess output from the alternator. Well, it does work OK.

Or did.

On return home in the dark a few days ago, I noted wisps of smoke emanating from the headlamp area. "That's a new one!", I thought. Turned everything off and pulled the headlight off. The light switch socket, a nasty rubber and brass concotion lovingly crafted by Wipac (otherwise known as "Wipeout", in the same way that Lucas is know as the "prince of darkness") was gently smouldering - and warm!

Well, I disconnected it.

Next day, I examined the sockets. Of course, after 50+ years the rubber had hardened and apparently it had started exhibiting conductive properties. This had caused tracking in the material - and this caused carbony scorch marks to appear, which were even more conductive...eventually it had started to catch fire!

The ignition switch socket was less scorched but still not worth trusting.

Unfortunately, the club was out of stock of the sockets but the excellent Colin Farrington has them at Catmando for a mere £7.50 each (type CF3 - looky here:
http://www.catmando-services.co.uk/parts.html#switches )

I cut the old ones off and will solder the new 'uns on when they arrive today or tomorrow. I do a lot of soldering (Radio and TV engineer etc) and these sockets do need a bit of care to avoid damaging them from excessive heat. Another way to do them is to cut the wires an inch or so back, and solder to the still-attached wires.

Now I know the average Lightweight owner is not a cheapskate like I am. I say things like "Yes, of course I'm trying to keep it as original as possible," when what I really mean is "I'm too mean to replace that until it breaks"...I'm sure you've replaced your knackered loom with a nice new shiny one with nice new soft rubber sockets.

But if you haven't, have a look at yer sockets before the smoke starts! :lol:

Al

Re: Replace those switch sockets!

Post by 1608 »

Nice piece Al.
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Al, I suggest that you contact the N. H. S. via your local G.P., 'cos they are spending megabucks on an anti-smoking campaign!
Janet

Post by Janet »

Al_Bolton wrote:On return home in the dark a few days ago, I noted wisps of smoke emanating from the headlamp area. "That's a new one!", I thought.
New to you, maybe but not to me, as those on WWH 2011 may remember. At least you were at home. I'd just (thankfully) reached the top of Porlock Hill when mine melted and the bike stopped*.
Now I know the average Lightweight owner is not a cheapskate like I am. I say things like "Yes, of course I'm trying to keep it as original as possible," when what I really mean is "I'm too mean to replace that until it breaks"...I'm sure you've replaced your knackered loom with a nice new shiny one with nice new soft rubber sockets.
Yes of course I have.

*That's another story but it won't be featuring in "A year in the life..."
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Why not Janet?
Janet

Post by Janet »

Because that was in the year after so would have had to be "Two years in the life...." and people can only take so much disaster. :D