Gearbox main seal

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Gearbox main seal

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi
Can the gearbox main oil seal be changed on a model 8 with the gearbox in situ? I have an oil leak from there and apart from a slight 3rd gear whine there is nothing else wrong with the box . I was toying with swopping the box for one I rebuilt a while ago now but can't see the point just for the sake of a seal. I remember that the seal does tap into the case from the outside but I also remember there being an issue with the stepped sleeve that pressed over the output gear (it was tight) which gives the seal a surface to run on in as much as I had to fit the sleeve and seal together, tapping the seal into the casing whilst at the same time tapping the sleeve onto the gear. If I have to do this again it would be impossible to pull the sleeve off the gear but would require the gear to be tapped into the box to remove it therefore meaning the box has to be dismantled. This will sound jibberish unless you have done one of these boxes, then you will know what I mean, hopefully??

Thanks

Paul
Last edited by Ozmadman on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Tolly

Re: Gearbox main seal

Post by Tolly »

I think it can be done Paul, you will have to be careful when you slide the seal over the sleeve. If you can find a bit of tapered tube the same diameter as the sleeve it makes it easier.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Tolly wrote:I think it can be done Paul, you will have to be careful when you slide the seal over the sleeve. If you can find a bit of tapered tube the same diameter as the sleeve it makes it easier.
Thanks, that makes sense. Out of interest the manual says(with the box stripped in this instance) tap the seal and sleeve in together and then fit the output gear into the gearbox main bearing from the inside of the case. This is rubbish because the sleeve just slides into the centre of the seal yet the sleeve HAS TO be a tight fit over the output gear otherwise it won't rotate when the output shaft rotates. So when you fit the output gear into the main bearing it will push the seal and sleeve out of the case of if not, force the stepped part of the sleeve through the seal thereby damaging it. Anyone had this problem? Anyway, will give it a go, yet another job for when the weather warms up.. OH.. can you remove the clutch as one complete unit without dismantling it?? this is new territory to me

Thanks Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote: OH.. can you remove the clutch as one complete unit without dismantling it?? this is new territory to me
Whether you could or not, if you're going to the bother of all things associated with removing your clutch, wouldn't it be sensible to check it out anyway while it's off?