New lightweight project

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Rangy65

New lightweight project

Post by Rangy65 »

Afternoon, i have recently aquired most of a 1960 G5 ( real basket case). Much to the amusment of my son, I have decided to restore it to the road.So this morning i laid out all parts & bits. There's a lot missing!! and the gear box has one gear with a tooth missing. I plan to carry out most of the work myself with the aid of Tom my son who is now at a loose end waiting for his degree results.
Good news is the crank, barrel, piston and frame is in good shape.I have joined the OC and ordered up the parts information as well as Roy Bacon's book.
My question is- has anyone taken any detail photo's of there bike as its being rebuilt? I am trying to work out just how things fit together.
Also does any one have spares for sale? I guess i am going to need a few!!

Cheers Stever
Ozmadman

Re: New lightweight project

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi Stever Good to have you here and another lightweight owner to boot!!! was that the one on ebay a few days back? I own a lightweight, a model 8 which is essentially the same as yours but the AJS version (different badges and colour scheme, that's about it) I am a relative newcomer when compared to others in the club but I have done quite a bit of work on mine so may be able to help with advice from time to time. There are a few other here who also own lightweights and who have far more experience than me so between us most issues should be able to be answered. keep us posted

All the best Paul
Last edited by Ozmadman on Mon May 13, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hello Paul its an e-bay job from a few weeks ago. My plan is to rough build it. Most of the cycle parts are there so a rolling chassis is straight forward. Major missing bits are Clutch, Electrics and gear box, kick start lever, battery box cover (left side cover). It would be good to swap notes. Quick question -does any one know if the push rods are the same as a G2? as i don't have those either.

Cheers
Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

stever wrote:Hello Paul its an e-bay job from a few weeks ago. My plan is to rough build it. Most of the cycle parts are there so a rolling chassis is straight forward. Major missing bits are Clutch, Electrics and gear box, kick start lever, battery box cover (left side cover). It would be good to swap notes. Quick question -does any one know if the push rods are the same as a G2? as i don't have those either.

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve

You may get a second hand clutch assembly, gearbox etc from http://www.amcclassicspares.com/ make sure you get a clutch for a 350 as they are different to a G2/Model 14 250 cc and also there are four different main shafts in the boxes (original and modified, 2 for the 350 and a different 2 for the 250) and it has to do with the spline design and clutch centre boss, just make sure the clutch fits on the main shaft ok. Both(350 types) will do as long as the clutch matches the box. 350 boxes start with an M gearbox number and 250's start with a G, internally they are the same(apart from the main shaft fiasco) but 350's have an 18 tooth final drive sprocket and 250's have 19 tooth or 17 for the CS. The 350 is very low geared, particularly in first(you could actually do away with it altogether!1) so some, including me when I get a chance will change to a 19 tooth. There was a LH side side panel on ebay not sure if is still there and you often see Kick start levers and wiring looms on there. The push rods are different as the 250 is a shorter stroke , part number for the push rods for a 350 is 044005 both the same.

PS Side panel has ended unsold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140970898806? ... 1438.l2649 contact buyer he may still sell it to you

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Thanks for the advice Paul, spoke to Linda at AMC about a gear box and pushrods. they are busy preparing for Kempton Auto Jumble so says it might be a couple of days before i know what's available. Sent a message to the guy on e-bay about the cover, nice spot.
I think i will persuade the missus that a day trip to Kempton Park would be really nice.

Cheers for your support and help

Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

stever wrote:Thanks for the advice Paul, spoke to Linda at AMC about a gear box and pushrods. they are busy preparing for Kempton Auto Jumble so says it might be a couple of days before i know what's available. Sent a message to the guy on e-bay about the cover, nice spot.
I think i will persuade the missus that a day trip to Kempton Park would be really nice.

Cheers for your support and help

Steve
Just a bit of extra re the gearbox on these bikes. it is important that it is kept full of oil up to the lower level of the oval inspection plate aperture at the side top of the box (you fill it up here as well once you remove the plate) all the gears are located in the top part of the box and any significant drop in level will mean the gears are starved of oil and you could knacker the box. I takes loads (3 pints) and more than the engine!!!

Plus, side panel has been re-listed
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AJS-Model-8-s ... 20d2d12398

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8