sounds sweet

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Hellboy

sounds sweet

Post by Hellboy »

hi folks heres an up date on my old rusty 1961 g5 which was perchased of the dreaded ebay she hadnt been run since 1968 and unmolested. plenty of penatrating fluid & after unseizing her i found the engine to be in very good condistion .anyway i cleaned the barrel on my lathe perchased i set of piston rings and a battery and a few bits and bobs all thanks to some nice helpfull users on here . well it finally ran today for the first time in over 44 years and it sounds so sweet no knocks or bangs fired up on the fouth kick after a little tickle lol . i am a well happy man and looking forward to new tyres etc & then getting her on the road :D
Ozmadman

Re: sounds sweet

Post by Ozmadman »

That's good!!! how did you get around the wiring?? the headlamp was non existent so i presumed the wiring would be shot as well?? where did you get the piston rings from?? hope you changed the oil?? look forward to seeing it

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy »

Ozmadman wrote:That's good!!! how did you get around the wiring?? the headlamp was non existent so i presumed the wiring would be shot as well?? where did you get the piston rings from?? hope you changed the oil?? look forward to seeing it

Paul
hello Paul well the wiring was really good no breaks and still supple didnt really have any issues with wiring just needed to change ignition switch as that was broke. yes changed the oil lol . and ive got 2 sets of piston rings 1 set from italy and the other set of a bloke on ebay both sets cheap enough . shes not going to be a bling bling bike i am going to keep it well rusty makes some wide handle bars and throw a single seat on her and use as is lol . and thanks for your help Paul :beer:
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Hellboy wrote: shes not going to be a bling bling bike i am going to keep it well rusty makes some wide handle bars and throw a single seat on her and use as is lol . and thanks for your help Paul
Not like mine then??

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy »

Ozmadman wrote:
Hellboy wrote: shes not going to be a bling bling bike i am going to keep it well rusty makes some wide handle bars and throw a single seat on her and use as is lol . and thanks for your help Paul
Not like mine then??

Paul
you must have a fully restored 1 then ? . i am finding a real liking for british bikes i really love tinkering with old rusty & i am thinking of buying another old british bike rather than another jap bike lol :D
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Not concourse or any thing but good nick, spent a lot of time on it over the last year or so, can't seem to PM you a picture so it's on here. This is the latest picture I have but since this I have got a seat cover with white piping, I have re-painted the tank in a blue more close to the correct colour, fitted a completely enclosed chain guard, sorted out the footrests which here are at the wrong angle and sorted the centre stand plus other bits and bobs.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy »

Ozmadman wrote:Not concourse or any thing but good nick, spent a lot of time on it over the last year or so, can't seem to PM you a picture so it's on here. This is the latest picture I have but since this I have got a seat cover with white piping, I have re-painted the tank in a blue more close to the correct colour, fitted a completely enclosed chain guard, sorted out the footrests which here are at the wrong angle and sorted the centre stand plus other bits and bobs.

Paul
Well paul that is bloody lovely i do like it . keep tinkering and ride safe mate