JP pistons in a 350 cc Lightweight

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Roderick

JP pistons in a 350 cc Lightweight

Post by Roderick »

Has anyone any experience of these JP pistons when fitted to a G5/Model 8? Notice any difference from the original in terms of performance, vibration, etc?
Rod
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: JP pistons in a 350 cc Lightweight

Post by saltbox alf »

Hi, JP pistons have been covered in previous posts, however they are known to be heavier than original and they also need a extra clearance in the bore as they seem to expand quite a lot!
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Roderick

Re: JP pistons in a 350 cc Lightweight

Post by Roderick »

I have read some comment about their installation in twins but was wondering if anyone had experience of using a 350 Lightweight with a JP piston fitted. I do ride old bikes as opposed to occasionally showing them & they have not only to just run but be enjoyable to use when they are running. I haven't an originality fetish. I'd use a Japanese or any other available modern piston if it could be made to work well. I have a Vincent Comet bored out to 560cc with a modern piston that works very well, definitely an improvement on the original. Does anyone have any actual experience of a JP piston in a G5/Model 8? Or any other piston (besides the 1959 650cc 7.5 to 1 piston)?
Rod