1966 G2 CSR . New to Forum

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
thomas1

1966 G2 CSR . New to Forum

Post by thomas1 »

Hi folks,

I've recently been given a barn find 1966 G2 CSR. Its stood untouched for at least 15yrs. Engine is free and top end is reasonable. Not got below con rod level yet. Most of the bits are there albeit hardly new.

I've done a few bikes in the past but nothing this knackered (wife's words not mine) and I'm certainly no expert . I'm hoping this restoration will be Dad / son thing and will teach him some of the basics of how bits work. I guess we will see. I'm not looking for a show winning finish but having said that I believe in doing a job right. I have a few questions for starters ; I'm fairly sure I will be on here a few more times. Apologies if I ask “old chestnuts” or “dumb” questions . Just point me in the right direction. I have read most of the 15 pages of postings on the G2 but if I've missed something again just point me to the right area.

So my first batch of questions :

Tank and finish.
At some time the bike was painted Black all over. – I'm sure very cool late 70's but I'd like to take the finish back to original or as close to as possible and budget allowing.

The pictures I have show a blue tank with chrome panels. My tank has no chrome. Were these panels chromed on to the tank or detachable, and were they actually std finish on a late G2 model csr.

Does anyone have a correct colour scheme for a 1966 G2 CSR. I have already looked but couldn't find it. If I'm going to repaint I might as well get as close to original as possible.

Any help would be great. I know I cant be the first to ask but I'm looking for some resources here; if anyone can help, great.

Also any recommendations for good sprayers – someone who knows AJS would be even better.

Head
I have no oil feed screw. This has been blanked off in the casting. I'm happy about this as its one less thing to free up. Is this normal for the year ?
Also there is no valve lifter – again is this correct
I do have coil springs

Frame
There is an odd T bar under the seat main tube. Its on a spring, is hollow, and sits in a hole in the frame. It looks as though a cable or something would have been routed through it. Currently it doesn't seem to be doing anything. What is this ? see picture of both the piston and this T bar.

Prop stand. Were these std on the light weight ? I cant see any pictures of bikes with them on. Mine does not have a prop stand.

Wheels
Well at least they go round which is a start and both brakes operate. However the rims are solid but poor cosmetic state. In the experience of the forum should I try to rechrome and recover or ditch and get new rims ? I'd prefer to restore but I'm not obsessive about it. What are the costs involved in re-chroming ? Any advice welcome.

Rear light
Its got a Britax rear light but in pictures I've seen the light is either Britax or Lucas 529. Any idea which one is correct ? I am lucky as I have a spare 529.

Many thanks for any help

cheers
cbranni

Re: 1966 G2 CSR . New to Forum

Post by cbranni »

Hi Thomas, and welcome to the club

66 tanks were chromed and painted blue (see Roy Bacon's AJS Restoration page 197) only my opinion but the shade of blue is awful, its like a dark navy, but its your choice.
Hers a link to a photo showing the tank colour scheme, the shade of blue on this tank is not the original colour, again only my opinion.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ajs ... tedIndex=1

No oil control screw is correct, and 250s did not have valve lifter

The only T bar I know of is the threaded one that holds the rear part of tank to the frame

Side stands were optional extra, club spares sell them I think

Some plating shops will re chrome wheels, but the dimples wreck the polishing mops thats why some won't do it, so new rims and spokes may be the best option. I have ordered 2 sets of cheap rims and spokes from a company quite central in the UK at a cost of £250 supply only (still waiting), just to give you an idea of price
Other rim suppliers are available :D

Rear lamp should be Wipac SO 088 but the Lucas you have will do the job

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Janet

Post by Janet »

Colin will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the G2 is a Matchless and the paint on the tank should be red. Have you got a M14 AJS, which would be blue?

BTW, welcome, and don't worry about asking questions. How else would you find out the answers. I can't help you with your restoration as I don't do such things but good luck with it.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Janet you are correct ............G2 is Matchless I miss read that :oops: :oops: :oops:

Forget the blue, its red not sure if this the original shade..........

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mat ... tedIndex=9

Colin
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Welcome aboard, there are quite a few lightweights coming out the woodwork at the moment, so some usefull info on the boards.
So yes, it's a red un ;)
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have such a bike in original condition, the red was actually like a metallic red, spayed over the all chrome tank.
Wear seems to show, the painted area of tank was first sprayed metallic silver covered with a very thin coating of red.
Thomasm

Post by Thomasm »

sorry for the confusion - the bike is a model 14 not a G2 as I previously implied. So blue it is. Has anyone has success rechroming the tank ? if so any recomendations ? thks for all the help
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I have never re chromed a tank purely because of the cost, I have seen this guy in a few shows, maybe worth a ring.

http://www.dougtaylor.co.uk/

Colin
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Please do not look at restored tanks or bikes
that are totally wrong. It can cost a lot of money to restore a tank.
Some of the links to pictures here show tanks nothing like they should be.
Look only at factory literature like sales cats.
You now say your bike is not a 1966 G2 CRS Matchless, now you say its not a G2 ? but a Mod 14 AJS.
I suggest you go no further until you get the club dating officer to correctly inform you what make year and model your bikes is, as no questions can be answered until that is certified. Mod 14 and G2 were discontinued in 1963.