1953 Model 18s Brake light switch photos needed

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
dondlhmn

Post by dondlhmn »

I have a 1953 AJS model 18S that had a really jury-rigged looking brake light switch added to it somewhere during its long life. I would like to start looking for the correct switch, mount, wires, etc so I can get it all back to what it was originally. The problem is, I don't know how it all looked, where it was mounted, how it was mounted and so forth. I do have an old parts manual and it does seem to have those parts listed, but there is no picture or diagram of any kind and neither the club nor AMC Classic has the parts listed. I need to find out what the correct stuff looked like before I pursue this project further so would like to ask the group if any of you have a 1952, '53, '54 or maybe 1955 AJS single that has a rear suspension (Jampots) that has a rear brake activated light switch. If so, could you please shoot me several pics of the items mentioned above and send them to me at dondlhmn@aol.com in digital .jpg format if possible? There don't seem to be ANY AJS singles around Reno here to look at, much less any that are original! I have tried doing a search on Google Images, but couldn't find anything that showed the area in any detail. I have also looked in several AJS books that I have on hand here, but, wouldn't you know it...none of them show pictures of the area I need to see on that model!

Thanks a lot!

Don J
Reno, NV
Don L. Johnson
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

There is a sketch of one in Chistian's Archives. You may have to change the mounting hole size. This the 55 on type pt no 022032. and the switch is pt no 022031. Both are for sale at JSL.
Lance

Post by Lance »

Hi Don,

Of course any number of aftermarket switches may have been used then but the one listed by Lucas as fitted to AMC machines in those years is Lucas part number: 31281. You can search for that on eBay and probably see one or two.

As for mounting, that probably has been a 'make it fit/work' type of deal for a lot of after market switches. But, a member on this group ( lappen ) has an original 55 model 18 with original Lucas brake light switch (the one mentioned above) and mounting bracket.

Send him a PM and I'm sure he'd be glad to send you a picture of that setup.

Hope that helps,

LanceEdited by - Lance on 24 Feb 2010 7:28:20 PM
PGGuse

Post by PGGuse »

Hi Don, because you're asking for any solution look at mine: http://www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=746 You must not tell anybody that the reliable switch is a Ducati product
Cheers, PaulEdited by - PGGuse on 24 Feb 2010 8:00:48 PMEdited by - PGGuse on 24 Feb 2010 8:01:17 PM
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Or there's shy Merlin's magic solution here:

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=1012
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
itma

Post by itma »

We have been in the shade of that tree already, I will sort out a photo of the proper job and load it tomorrow.
Its time it was in the photos section seeing how often its enqiured after
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

quote:
Or there's shy Merlin's magic solution here:

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=1012

Chemists do it with test tubes
keithchorley

Re: 1953 Model 18s Brake light switch photos needed

Post by keithchorley »

Again, to ask the same question: what should the brake light switch and actuation and spring look like on my '57 G80S?

This doesnt seem at all right as the spring pulls the switch in the wrong direction: (you can zoom in!)

Could someone please show a photo of a setup that works please?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Is that switch upside down? Does anyone have better pictures? Or maybe additional pictures for how this should be mounted?
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Here's mine, it's a 1961 but I don't think the mounting changed too much:
Brake Switch.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.