wipac alternator repair or replace?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Ian 14 G2

Post by Ian 14 G2 »

Having checked the alternator on my 1961 ajs 14 I have found that the windings on my alternator are damaged and I am getting very little charge from it,the question is do I have it repaired or if I replace it do I get a wipac unit and if so where could purchase the said unit or is it possible to use a lucas unit? I have seen lucas units available for sale which have two wires leading from them where as my wipac unit has three,I am running on the origonal 6 volt system which I would like to keep, Any help or recommendations from anyone with experience of a similar problem please help so I can get on the road.
Eric

Post by Eric »

When you say that have found the windings are damaged can you describe the damage?

As a separate thing how much output do you get shown by the ammeter when running at say 30 mph or its equivalent engine speed with the sidelights on and then the same again but with the headlights on?Edited by - Eric on 19 Mar 2011 5:36:12 PM
Ian 14 G2

Post by Ian 14 G2 »

The plastic coating covering the windings on one of six coils just below the protective wrap that covers the windings is missing and about six of the windings have fused together, the stator seems to be in poor condition all round.
Justin350

Re: wipac alternator repair or replace?

Post by Justin350 »

hi Ian, did you get a solution to this issue? i'm faced with the same decision with my g5
and insight would be helpful!
JustinFWood
dansofield550

Re: wipac alternator repair or replace?

Post by dansofield550 »

I've just changed mine, I got a wassell item from eBay. It's a 10 amp type and was listed for a c15,I thought I'd give it a try as it was cheap, happy to report it fits and works even left the old wipac magnetic rotor on as it was 5thou small than a wassell one and figured it'll work, and it did