fork slider damage - advice ?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Thomasm

fork slider damage - advice ?

Post by Thomasm »

Hi , I have a problem with the forks on a late 14 csr and would appreciate some advice . Following the removal of the forks I noticed that there was about an additional 1 inch of travel in the left fork compared to the right. The right fork also sticks if pushed beyond this final inch ,

Upon investigation I noticed that the slider although straight has a small flat section around the point its sticking and furher down there is evidence of someone taking a lump hammer to it - presumably to "repair" some accident damage. As I said the fork looks straight and the botch only was evident once the forks were on the bench

Im loathed to replace such a pricy part and am wondering how to proceed.
My options are ignore, reassemble and hope for the best (well it is an option ), replace ( persuming I can find a slider) or repair ( i would not know where to start , or even if repairs are possible) .

Any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks in advance
ChrisWilliams

Re: fork slider damage - advice ?

Post by ChrisWilliams »

I have had this issue on bsa sliders

I wrapped a dowel of wood slightly smaller than the inside of the slider with emery cloth and put a pice of threaded bar up the middle and then vigorously lished the inside of the leg until Id taken out the high spot

Takes ages but gets there in the end

Chris
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I do have a reamer you can borrow, pm me your address and I will mail it to you, let me know.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
ChrisWilliams

Post by ChrisWilliams »

Hi Colin

Where can I get a reamer the right size ....... would be very handy

Thanks

Chris
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi Chris, hunt around the boot sales, autojumbles etc, you need a 1 and 9/16" machine reamer not a hand reamer, machine reamers are parrallel and have a morse taper drive, hand reamers have a square end for a hand wrench.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow