G2 centre stand

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Razboy

G2 centre stand

Post by Razboy »

Have just bought a 1961 G2 CSR and the centre stand appears to be not as it should be! When the bike is on the stand the rear wheel is firmly on the ground, so I guess it may be the wrong centre stand for the bike or it may be twisted/damaged? When I had my first G2 when I was a teenager, the centre stand on that was also twisted, so maybe a weakness on this model? Does anywhere market a side stand that will fit the G2?
Janet

Re: G2 centre stand

Post by Janet »

Mine ends up with both wheels touching the ground if the surface it's on is uneven and the stand is in a slight dip. On level ground, one of the wheels if in the air, which one being dependent on the loading of the machine at the time. I don't think my stand is twisted but I haven't looked. Usually, if I'm doing any work that requires some clearance, such as adjusting the chain, I put a board under the stand. A side stand doesn't help me in those situations.

The club spares scheme sells a lightweight prop stand assembly (part no. 043389 ) for £124.92 plus postage.
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

My one is the same both wheels on the ground when on the main stand. I thought that what it was like,
Janet

Post by Janet »

I don't think there's supposed to be be but wear and tear and, possibly weakening of suspension that causes easier extension of the forks/rear dampers, is a possible cause.
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

Some one at the local meet did say to me to check that the stand is not going to far forward as of yet I have had no time to look into this. But when you think about it it don't look right, if the bike is not on level ground it just does not look stable. some would say a bit like the owner !!!
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

Does it still have the bent "feet"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AJS-MATCHLESS ... 7675.l2557

Mine stops just after the bar - finding a way of fitting replacement feet is currently No.72 on my list of things to do.
Peter W
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi
The centre stand is rotating too far forward because the brackets either side of the lower frame that the stand pivots on are worn. Here is a mod. I only have pictures of the knackered brackets and not what they looked like once fixed so I have enclosed 3 pics (two of the knackered one and one drawing of the fix)

Just to clarify, the bolt head goes on the "wear" side and the nut just behind the welded brace on the back of the bracket. Try to keep the bolt as low as possible as the higher up the bolt the more upright the stand. I was lucky, I found some bolts with reasonably shallow heads so no filing was needed. These are easy to do as they just unbolt and as long as you don't disturb the stand (THE BIKE MUST BE ON A SIDE STAND OR RESTING AGAINST A WALL OR SOMETHING, NOT ON THE MAIN STAND) or the centre square bar that goes all the way through. It will take you a few minutes each one to get off and on... JUST A SMALL CORRECTION ON MY DRAWING.. ON THE SIDE VIEW THE HOLES ARE LABELLED THE WRONG WAY ROUND, (ie: the square hole is the round hole and vice versa)small thing but didn't want to confuse anyone!!! simples!

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Razboy

Post by Razboy »

I had another look at it today and the stand is definitely out of shape. When on the stand the whole bike is leaning to the left, even on level garage floor. I will leave it until the spring when it's a bit warmer in the garage, and I can tinker to my hearts content.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Razboy wrote:I had another look at it today and the stand is definitely out of shape. When on the stand the whole bike is leaning to the left, even on level garage floor. I will leave it until the spring when it's a bit warmer in the garage, and I can tinker to my hearts content.
The stand may still be ok, it may just be that one stand stop/bracket shown above is worn more than the other one causing one leg of the stand to be further forward than the other. Spring... Garage toughen up man.. get out there and be fortunate you actually have a garage. I have got to put half my bike back together BEFORE, spring and it's outside!!! check out those brackets tho, cos that's what it was on my lightweight and now it sits lovely and rocks like a see saw!!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed