new first time ajs owner

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
dansofield550

Re: new first time ajs owner

Post by dansofield550 »

Actually rode the bike today, once I got it started, how come as soon as you book a mot slot it won't run right? Fiddled with the air screw and it ran well enough to ride, must say I was surprised at its turn of speed pick up wise,
The air screw is in a fair way now and guess I need a bigger pilot jet, the carb has a k&n type filter and a loud exhaust ,the jet is currently a 25, has anyone had these mods if so what jet size did you end up with? Thanks Dan
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

dansofield550 wrote:The air screw is in a fair way now and guess I need a bigger pilot jet, the carb has a k&n type filter and a loud exhaust ,the jet is currently a 25, has anyone had these mods if so what jet size did you end up with? Thanks Dan
25 is right for your bike as it is for my 350 version, I had problems so tried a 30 and had to screw OUT the screw too far so went back to a 25. if you need to screw your screw in that much with a 25 then a 30 might do it.
You may need to fiddle around a bit with this as if I do as the manual says with mine, ie get a slow tick-over then turn the pilot screw to get the fastest idle and then set the idle speed with the throttle stop screw, it spits like hell on deceleration and I end up screwing it in a bit to stop the spitting (and I have a better than new professionally re-built carb).. Trial and error here I think.. Anyway, how far in is "a fair way"?

Paul
Last edited by Ozmadman on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

can't see how a bigger pilot will give more air somehow, fuel flows through it not air, a bigger jet will i guess let me open the air screw more than the 1/2 turn it is now, and help with openings onto the main jet etc

i was fairly shore if the air screw is in a long way, like half a turn the pilot need to be bigger as i'm cutting down on air to fuel ratio there by richening the mixture(when the air screw is in), it runs okay like this(on idle) but when a bit of throttle is given it goes a little fluffy (because is was running lean at kick over and won't like an opening and more air) so i'll try a large pilot i think.

i dont think i can use standard sizes with the air filter and exhaust as they are.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

dansofield550 wrote:can't see how a bigger pilot will give more air somehow, fuel flows through it not air, a bigger jet will i guess let me open the air screw more than the 1/2 turn it is now, and help with openings onto the main jet etc

i was fairly shore if the air screw is in a long way, like half a turn the pilot need to be bigger as i'm cutting down on air to fuel ratio there by richening the mixture(when the air screw is in), it runs okay like this(on idle) but when a bit of throttle is given it goes a little fluffy (because is was running lean at kick over and won't like an opening and more air) so i'll try a large pilot i think.

i dont think i can use standard sizes with the air filter and exhaust as they are.
Hi . yes sorry I am getting my knickers in a twist here(it was late at night) and yes a bigger pilot jet will allow more fuel (richer) and allow you more control over the air but as I have amended above, on mine this went the other way and I had to have the screw too far out and then couldn't risk it falling out. The general consensus of opinion is that if you fit an air filter you should fit a main jet one size smaller but the lightweight manual lists the same main jet for both options. This won't affect the idle circuit though. I was confusing myself there, I spent ages fiddling around, trying to cure various problems, spitting back, erratic tickover, stuttering when opening the throttle etc. I got it reasonable after a while but then I noticed the slide rattling around on tick over and I just bit the bullet went for a proper carb re sleeve and rebuild, runs like clockwork now. BUT still runs rich, no-matter what I do... that one I haven't been able to sort out...YET

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

passed the mot yesterday, no advisories , well pleased, only stopped long enough to give the testers guide dog a biscuit the off, only to to come to a spluttering stop 5 or 6 times in a half mile trip!, going to giving the pilot a look
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

Hello anybody know the degrees to check the timing with a strobe light? Also should it be done at a particular revs ? Thanks Dan
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

dansofield550 wrote:Hello anybody know the degrees to check the timing with a strobe light? Also should it be done at a particular revs ? Thanks Dan
Too technical for me!! 1/4" BTDC is all I know and has served me well

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

Made a new exhaust today, fitted a 30 pilot jet and the bike runs so much better now,
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

Finally nailed down the cause of the poor running, turned out to be water in the fuel an easy fix, thought I'd chance my luck an ride it home from work where its been kept for a while
, 12 mile trip in the dark with frost just starting seemed a good idea to begin with summer gloves soon changed that! But itmade it no issues at all, over thr moon with it ;)
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

One thing I really need to improve is the headlamp . I've got a 12v35/35 bulb in at the moment, the light is a Lucas 7" unit, any one recommend up grades?, been looking at led lights but p36d types are a bit thin on the ground