Model 8 engine into Model 14 frame

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ajsm18

Model 8 engine into Model 14 frame

Post by ajsm18 »

Hello
Does anyone know if it is definitely possible to fit the 350 engine into a 250 frame?
Having loosely fitted the two studs through the front of the crankcase there does seem to be enough clearance and for the tank but I can't attach the rear at the moment so I'm not sure. I can see that access to the head and rocker box will be difficult without dropping the engine but I'm not worried about that too much
Thanks
Mark
Ozmadman

Re: Model 8 engine into Model 14 frame

Post by Ozmadman »

ajsm18 wrote:Hello
Does anyone know if it is definitely possible to fit the 350 engine into a 250 frame?
Having loosely fitted the two studs through the front of the crankcase there does seem to be enough clearance and for the tank but I can't attach the rear at the moment so I'm not sure. I can see that access to the head and rocker box will be difficult without dropping the engine but I'm not worried about that too much
Thanks
Mark
far as I am aware the only difference is the extra height of the barrel of a 350 but it should go in will just be a tighter under the top tube and you may have to take the tank off to adjust the tappets??? not sure if you have to adapt or shorten the bracket that mounts the rocker cover to the top tube though, all the other dimensions for the rest of the engine are the same.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Thanks Paul. That confirms what I thought but it is very useful to have a second opinion
Mark
aitch58

Post by aitch58 »

Hi Mark I have just fitted a 350 into a 250 frame, as Paul correctly said the top head steady bracket does need modding to fit. So far I haven't encountered any other major issues.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Hi aitch
Thanks for confirming that it is possible I'll get on with it now!
Mark