Identification of my G2.

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Kees

Identification of my G2.

Post by Kees »

Can somebody help me please. I've recently bought a G2 250cc project and I would like to know what year it is. The chassis no. Is 18951 and the engine no. Is 14/csr/15454. I would also like to know if these originally belonged to each other. There were no papers with this bike so is it possible to get a log book?
Thank you very much for your responses.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: Identification of my G2.

Post by Eamonn »

Hello Kees, look at our Machine Dating service - http://www.ajs-matchless.com/dating.asp, you can chose either a quick online service or the more comprehensive Dating Certificate.
Corners like a Lego man
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Kees wrote:Can somebody help me please. I've recently bought a G2 250cc project and I would like to know what year it is. The chassis no. Is 18951 and the engine no. Is 14/csr/15454. I would also like to know if these originally belonged to each other. There were no papers with this bike so is it possible to get a log book?
Thank you very much for your responses.
Well the engine is a CSR so that's good, a lot better/stronger engine than the standard G2/Model 14.. the 14 makes it a model 14 AJS ("14" is AJS and G2" is Matchless) and as far as I am aware this apples to the engine number as well. Presume as you mentioned G2 that it is a Matchless then?

paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You could have a mixture year, marque and model parts. The first thing you must do, is discover exactly what you have got. A picture would be required. We may see you have a G2 Matchless fitted with an AJS mod 14 CSR engine, frame and engine years/marque TBC by the dating officer. We know the engine is AJS, only the dating officer could tell from factory records , the year and marque the frame was used for. Many bikes have become a mixture of year, marque and model. So take it one step at a time, to get a bike built you can ride on the road. So first get the parts dated, the year of the bike will be the year of the frame. Then decide if its going to be built as an AJS model 14CSR, which can be seen on the engine number. Perhaps the rest of the bike is not CSR, so you may make an AJS model 14 with a CSR engine. You could make it a Matchless model G2 or G2 CSR with an AJS model 14CSR engine. So get these stages sorted first. AJS and Matchless were only badge difference.