14 engine rebuild part missing

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Thomasm

14 engine rebuild part missing

Post by Thomasm »

Please help. I've screwed up somewhere in the reassembly of 14 csr 1966 engine. I'm usually fastidious about photos, and retaining fasteners and making notes but I have a spacer left over and I have no idea where it came from.

It looks just like the small spacer that sits in front of the cam followers - but it's not ( slightly smaller); after stripping it down again I know that I have one large and one small.

The box it came from contained timing gear, bolts for timing case and oil tank, etc. However it could be mixed with the auto advance and contact breaker bits.

I have gone through the exploded engine diagram but can't see anything like this ( with the exception of the cam follower spacer) .

I'm trying to convince myself that it's a sundry bit that was never meant to be there in the first place or is a washer. However I know it's not !! It's too thick to be a washer and I would have noticed it on the strip down if it was wrong. I

So there we have it. A rebuilt engine nice compression and maybe even oil tight, but with a bit missing !!!

Any help appreciated .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbranni

Re: 14 engine rebuild part missing

Post by cbranni »

If it's smaller than cam follower spacer maybe it's a washer for the bolt that secures the adv/rtd unit, I can't think of anything else in that area, sorry I can't be of anymore help.
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Thomasm

Post by Thomasm »

Thks Colin. It might be- I was thinking the same . I'll look tomorrow . Incidentally the fork spacer work is still in progress . I'll do a bit more tomorrow but it's slow going. Appreciate the help on that
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Don't worry about the reamer, take as much time as you need.
only dead fish go with the flow

Post by 1608 »

I've had several engines over the years that were in bits and in boxes. Its often a process of elimination when it comes to certain parts that are left over or 'where do they go', but there are often washers and spacers etc like you have left over. A close examination of the part will often give a clue to its whereabouts, such as the spacer you have shown. For example it has a very light slightly rusty surface to its outside edge signifying that its probably not an internal part but more than likely a drive sprocket spacer or such like. Are there any witness marks on it to indicate whether it is a thrust washer or non load bearing spacer or just a washer etc. Ther internal dia of the washer/spacer should give a clue as to what shaft it would fit also.
Thomasm

Post by Thomasm »

ha - found it. At last.

Rebuilding the frame and had a picture of it all along. It is the washer that sits on the side of the centre stand. Now how it found its way in to the engine / timming gear box of bits is beyond me.

The rebuild has taken a back seat recently as the "local authority" AKA Mrs M needs some jobs doing, but everything is ready to be re-assembled once the new shed arrives. Hopefully back and running in a month...ish...perhaps longer.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I was going to say it looks like a centre stand spacer as Colin had made me a couple in the recent past and I was going to tell you after I read the thread but you Sussed it first
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed