Igntion switches

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Biscuit
Deceased

Igntion switches

Post by Biscuit »

Hi Martyn, it only goes to show what a different world we now live in, my bikes don't even have a key, just turn on the juice, kick and go. Personally I rarely bother to chain the bike up, based on the assumption that there's not many pimply yobs who could start the thing anyway, and if it's an organised professional he will take the chain as well and cart it away on some kind of transport.

bjork

Igntion switches

Post by bjork »

Personally,I always use a good lock and chain or a cable lock,preferably locking the bike to some thing else.Lampposts,other bikes etc.The sad truth is all kinds of bikes are easily nicked,including classics and most ignition locks are still a feeble joke( I work on modern bikes for a living!)As Alan says,a professional scally will ave your bike away in a jiffy,if he/she wants to,but if you make it just that little bit harder work,they may just go for the easier target just around the corner.I regularly fit alarms and immobilisers at work,but still believe in good physical security.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
bjork

Igntion switches

Post by bjork »

Martyn,I have my favourites,like anyone else!So if I recommend any it's just my personal opinion ok?The old adage of only getting what you pay for is as true here as anywhere.My Personal choice is usually Abus,I have both chains and cable locks from them(it did help that I used to sell them!)I have ground anchors in my garage that I usually use with a chain through the frames.For out and about I usually carry an armoured cable lock,as it curls round the carrier tubes and doesn't rattle about.There is a lot of heavy duty stuff available now,most of it very good.You might look on say RIDE magazines website (or MCN) as they do test security kit quite often.Alarms and immobilisers?I don't bother with them!If you can't lock your bike to something else,lock a wheel to the frame and try to keep the chain/cable off the floor as it's less vulnerable to attack that way.Hope this doesn't make me sound paranoid!think I'll go and lie down now.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Eric

Igntion switches

Post by Eric »

Key ignition switches, alarms, and immobilsers will not stop your bike being stolen if someone really wants to steal it. Even a modern bike secured in such a way is still easily loaded on to the back of a van and who takes any notice of an alarm these days. The most secure solution is the best chain or cable lock you can afford that is long enough to go through wheel frame and round a lampost or other similar non removable object. You may find this is a condition of your insurance anyway.
Merlin

Igntion switches

Post by Merlin »

Hi Alan,
Come to Blackpool
They take the milk out of your tea then return for the sugar
Cheers
Stuart
Chemists do it with test tubes