Do I need 'the' tool

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
silverarrow

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by silverarrow »

Ah but latter day brass is to EU spec and therefore comes apart at the seems as soon as pressure is applied. I have got a screwdriver from that era which is still in perfect condition despite use as a chisel, scribe, wedge lever etc as well as for screws.

Les Smith (silverarrow397)
Keep smiling
lawrence

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by lawrence »

Now now! I won't hear a word against the EU. whoever thought of all those ridiculous measurements;- 5/16 11/32 etc. When i'm working on my japper i don't need a calculator to work out the next size spanner, " Now let's see, I need the next size up from 11mm, errrrrrrrmmmmm that is ??????? oh yes 12mm!!"

I love the Imperial measurements because they are so so impractical!![:o)]

Lawrence
lawrence

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by lawrence »

Oooooooh, I'm a teen!! I feel like dancing off like the 'bracing' Skegness man!

I also vote to buy the tool! I also still recommend a trip to an owners night to drain their brains.

Lawrence
Colin F

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by Colin F »

You might consider Imperial measurements impractical but they do make sense! I can look at a nut and say yes thats a 3/8 and reach for the right spanner. When I'm working on the nasty metric nuts on the car it normally takes 3 goes to find the right spanner.
I have however got a metric adjustable, and yes it is adjustable and only fits metric nuts.

Finally Lawrence well done on reaching the "teen" mark!
lawrence

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by lawrence »

Thanks Colin. I feel guilty for having taken the mick out of your single obsession now[^]

I'll get over it[}:)]

Lawrence
silverarrow

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by silverarrow »

I thought there was only two sizes of spanner, the right one and the wrong one[?]

Seriously though getting or making the right tool for extracting coggy things is a good investment in time and/or money.[^]

Keep smiling
Biscuit
Deceased

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by Biscuit »

quote:Originally posted by Colin Farrington

The correct tool for the job is the best idea.
Regarding brass drifts, I have been using the same drift ever since working on bikes and it was my fathers, he got his Matchless new from the factory in 1948 and to the best of my knowledge there has never been a chip come off it!

If I had proffered this reason to the craftsman who taught me my trade, I would have received a hearty cuff on the ear and put on tubeplate deburring for a week. Apart from 10 silly little increments equals 1 of the next idiotic dimension and so on' the metric system has little to offer over imperial. Imperial drawings are in feet and inches, end of story, metric drawing contain mm. cm, and metres, they seem to forget dcm. On some drawings I have seen, Chapelon locomotive drawings, metres are omitted, and you get ridiculous dimensions like 1003 mm.

Biscuit
Deceased

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by Biscuit »

[:(] A further thought on metrication,petrol at 78p (15/6) a litre equates to £3/5/4d a gallon, handy for Mr.Brown to hide, or make his tax apparently less painful.

lawrence

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by lawrence »

And I thought it was expensive in 1970 at 36p a gallon [:(]

Lawrence
silverarrow

Do I need 'the' tool

Post by silverarrow »

I can well remember my trip to Well St garage with it's solitary Jet pump and buying my first bikes' first gallon of petrol. 4s/10d which is around 24p in new money, that must have been 1967.

Keep smiling