G5 Rebuild Questions

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
ditchweed

G5 Rebuild Questions

Post by ditchweed »

So i've been working on the bike this morning a few things i can't figure out that i thought you guys might be able to help with sorry for the barrage of questions hopefully most of them are quick answers. I'll do seperate posts so it makes sense. Thanks in advance
ditchweed

Re: G5 Rebuild Questions

Post by ditchweed »

So i can't figure out he front sprocket orientation when i put it on the opposite way round to this it seems better as other wise it looks like the chain will hit the chaincasing and the alignment seems better, but in the exploded engine diagram it looks like its this way round, also if i put it the other way the chain will be touching the Lucas magnet, am i missing a part?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ditchweed

Post by ditchweed »

Can't figure out what this is for?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ditchweed

Post by ditchweed »

Is this hole for cable routing if so which one?
ditchweed

Post by ditchweed »

Trying to change the clutch cable any tips on the best way do i have to remove the whole side of the gear box or is it possible through the inspection window
ditchweed

Post by ditchweed »

Do these holes in the fork crown have a purpose?
ditchweed

Post by ditchweed »

And finally, bought a new ignition coil, but can't figure out how the HT Lead is supposed to attach to it, on the old one the inside of the plastic is threaded on the new one its not? Wassell Coil.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I don't know much about lightweights but....picture 2 is a bearing puller . Picture 3 the hole is for a locking bar to prevent theft. pic 5 :The bottom yoke will have allen bolts to clamp the stanchions. For the coil you should have a copper fitting which presses onto the HT lead., then a rubber cover pushes over it.
Dave.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Front sprocket......first and foremost the front sprocket should be in line with the clutch basket sprocket, there are shims to do this, it has been a few years since I had a lightweight apart but I think the sprocket is very close to the inner casting. If you get the alignment right everything should fall into place if the parts you have are correct, which is always a problem with old bikes.

The item you have in your hand ..............to me it looks like a bendex spring compressor,

It is possible to fit a new cable through the hole, just follow the instuctions in the manual

The picture is a little dark but I think the holes you mean are very important, they clamp the lower yoke to the fork stanchions, think they are 3/8 bsf socket screws

The HT lead is held in the coil by a brass clip.

If you need more advice just ask....................I have time on my hands :D :D

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

To continue what others have said... First of all the front sprocket, if you have been reading my rebuild thread you will see a long discussion on this, to cut a very long story short.... the sprocket goes on the way you have it in the picture and as Colin has said there are shims to space it as required to line up the primary chain. I fitted the two that somehow found their way into the engine on the crankshaft when the PO or whoever rebuilt it at some stage. and yes... it does look close to the casing but this is correct.

The hole is not for a cable but a locking bar (a kind of prehistoric steering lock)

Don't ride the bike until you get those stanchion bolts back in and tight!!!

As for the clutch cable... disconnect it from the lever end first so you have more length to play with, thread the inner through the small hole in the top of the gearbox casing and push it through you can then hook the cable nipple over that lever, pull on the lever end of the cable and re-connect it to the lever.

the rest have been answered

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed