Warning lights ignition/headlight

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
garagejunkie

Re: Warning lights ignition/headlight

Post by garagejunkie »

Ozmadman wrote:
garagejunkie wrote:Well I definatley have a bulb that fits next to the speedo on a bracket underneath the left hand side light . The light comes on with the ignition . The wiring seems to be factory .
So do I but it is attached to the speedo and is the light to illuminate the speedo and ammeter at night (an MOT requirement if you have lights)

Sorry but I find myself back at this post in the quest to see where my electricity is going .....

The light on the speedo that's in the picture , is this on with the ignition full time , or is it lit only when headlights / sidelights are on .....

My speedo light it on all the time with the ignition on ....... Wiring seems original..... Correct ?
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Only when the lights are on.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Stuoyb wrote:Only when the lights are on.
Yes, definitely only on when the lights are on

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

garagejunkie wrote:
The light on the speedo that's in the picture , is this on with the ignition full time , or is it lit only when headlights / sidelights are on .....

My speedo light it on all the time with the ignition on ....... Wiring seems original..... Correct ?
This is one of the vaugeries of Wipac wiring looms, there are several bikes that use the same basic loom, Francis Barnett and James to name but two (suprise, suprise). However some diagrams show the speedo light working off the ignition so that is on all the time, others (including AJS and Matchless) show it working off the light switch and only coming on when the lights are on.

You say it looks like an original loom, it may well be, but not original to your bike, if someone had a wiring problem back in the 60's and was offered a loom that looked the same off a F-B they would have probably used it, now 50 years on it looks like the original.
garagejunkie

Post by garagejunkie »

Colin F wrote:
garagejunkie wrote:

This is one of the vaugeries of Wipac wiring looms, there are several bikes that use the same basic loom, Francis Barnett and James to name but two (suprise, suprise). However some diagrams show the speedo light working off the ignition so that is on all the time, others (including AJS and Matchless) show it working off the light switch and only coming on when the lights are on.

You say it looks like an original loom, it may well be, but not original to your bike, if someone had a wiring problem back in the 60's and was offered a loom that looked the same off a F-B they would have probably used it, now 50 years on it looks like the original.
Thanks Colin ! Do you think it's a big deal or will I just leave it as is ?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

It's only a 3watt bulb so can't see a problem really, plus you won't even notice it unless it's dark anyway
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed