1967 G15CSR Help Wanted

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
John Donne

Re: 1967 G15CSR Help Wanted

Post by John Donne »

All the G15,N15 series of bikes had ball end levers. As for the pistons, you may have to lift the cylinder head to find out, or see if you can see down the plug hole, but there is also a compression test. I would assume the pistons would or could have been changed to the Commando 8.9.1 pistons.
The 1965 G15CSR differs from the 1966 G15CSR, as the wheels became 19 inch and the Amal Monobloc's became left and right handed. The headlamp and the instrument bracket were chrome plated, and there was inlet trumpets fitted to the carbs. The rear sub frame was also different to the G15Mk2 and the G15CS, as the G15CSR had rear sets, and the tyre pump was fitted on prongs under the dual seat. There were also two types of swept back exhaust pipes, and there was special brackets that attached to the frame, in the centre of the exhaust pipe to the silencer and it was chrome plated. No air cleaner was fitted, and ignition was by the Lucas K2F magneto. The head steady was the earlier and later reinforced type depending on the year. The petrol tank was the larger 4 gallon one with chrome sides, knee rubbers, and a painted top, with plastic Matchless red, silver and gold winged badges. The mudguards would be in alloy, with reinforcements inside to stop the back mudguard from cracking, and a T piece was bolted on the dual seat and bolted through the rear mudguard.
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

I just did along reply and this page never posted, so I am now not doing it again.
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

I am not doing this agin as the page will not update.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Hi John, it looks like it got posted, about levers and pistons , differences between '65 n '66 etc
Very interesting this thread.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Hi John

I find it sometimes takes a while for the site to respond when sending posts but they seem to appear eventually. I have often lost replies which have taken ages to compose on other sites so if I know it will take a while to put together I tend to do it in a word document so it is safe, then cut and paste it into the reply message.

Really useful and detailed G15 info.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

John Donne wrote:I am not doing this agin as the page will not update.
Calm down old boy use word and the copy and paste that we you have a record of you text ;)
Roy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

G15 Roy wrote:Calm down old boy use word and the copy and paste that we you have a record of you text ;)
Or you could .....use Word and then copy and paste so that you have a record of your text. ;)

But avoid Roy's home brew, eh?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
JohnHewes

Post by JohnHewes »

I think that previous advice to time the ignition from the crankshaft degrees is very good advise. With a stick down the plughole and a domed piston it would be impossible to ensure that the measurement is correct with the piston moving up and down in the bore to find the right position.
I know it involves a bit more work, but get it right first time and never worry about it again.
John
Ron Leese

Post by Ron Leese »

To All,
Thank you all for your great advice.
Ron
Ron Leese