G15CS - exactly what is this TLS brake

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
bjork

Re: G15CS - exactly what is this TLS brake

Post by bjork »

norman_john wrote: Hopefully I can get a set of re-lined shoes from somewhere and then adjust it in to something much more efficient than the SLS? Are there any suppliers of Tickle equipment still?

Cheers
John
Hi John, I don't know if the Tickle brake used shoes from another ready made source or were one offs, but the easiest thing is to reline the shoes you have. There are various firms who will do this by post for you, Saftek comes to mind or here in Leicestershire a couple of firms who reline all sorts of car/bike/lorry brakes and clutches. The better firms will be able to offer a choice of lining materials too. Don't make the mistake I made as a teenager of asking for 'racing' green linings for the Tickle brake on my old A10. It was lethal from cold and would lock the wheel in an instant. It only ever worked properly when coming flat out down the mountain (IoM) after being warmed up. Fantastic brake then, but once relined with sensible material was a good predictable brake.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Sounds like the linings for this brake do not work well, need a lot of burning, then lock the wheel up. I had some linings like that on my 1936 250. Brand new, The front brake soon beaded in and worked fine. The back was never much good. But it passed M o T. A year later still not much good but passed the M O T again. The back brake did almost nothing to even slow me down. Next test was scrutinisers at Brands Hatch. One guy held a brake on , another tried to push the bike. Front was OK bike never moved. Back brake did the same??? The tester said, you got good brakes on that old bike mate, it never even moved, Then he said, had to near enough stand on the rear brake pedal though. I then discovered, if I stamped on the rear brake, sure enough it worked but locked. The linings were new old stock from Russels, Probably stuck on a shelf for years getting impregnated with muck. 30 years later they are still working OK, The old bike only used for a few local runs a year
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

norman_john wrote: Are there any suppliers of Tickle equipment still?
Give Unity a call as their website claims to have the right to manufacture parts and if they can't help they may be able to give you a lead.

Following a deal with John Tickle back in 1978, then holder of the Manx name, Unity Equipe has since held the sole rights to the use of the term Manx as a motorcycle type name, together with the rights to produce new spares and even complete machines of the revered Manx design.

http://www.unityequipe.co.uk/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

I have one of the John Tickle twin leading shoes on my AJS 33CSR and it is a really effective front brake as it can make the front tyre squeal. It would be all down to the adjustment of that front brake, and may the drum may need to be skimmed and new brake linings fitted. Some of the brake plates had the Tickle logo on a yellow metal plate riveted to the front air scoop.
norman_john

Post by norman_john »

Thanks John, it's good to know that I will get some good results if I persevere!
norman_john

Post by norman_john »

Just to say that with an excellent new HD brake cable from JJ Cables, some trial and error adjustment resulting in the need to lengthen the tie-rod about 0.5mm(!) so that both shoes are actually in use, followed by further more aggressive use, the JT brake is starting to feel a little more like a brake than a go-faster lever. I may eventually get to like it.
Cheers
John