1958 G11 Fuel Pipes

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Stompbox

1958 G11 Fuel Pipes

Post by Stompbox »

Hooray - I've finally become a full member of the club, and I wonder can anyone help me as regards the fuel lines on my Matchless G11. It came to me with the fuel tank and saddle both off the bike.

I have found various bits and pieces - the two original fuel lines but these have been separated, also one dual inlet banjo fitting for the carburettor (it has a single inlet one fitted at the moment) and a nice new pair of fuel taps with gauze filters and some fuel line fittings, so it looks as though the previous owner was maybe looking at having two separate feeds from the tank to the new two input banjo fitting for the carburettor.

I've put photos on of the pieces that I have – at least I'm trying to but really struggling – is there a limit on the IMG links that you can add, as the first picture just shows as the URL to Photobucket....that's the photo of the new fuel taps and fittings. but I've tried loading this post four times now so I'll leave it be!

Clearly the two fuel taps used to come in to a junction where they then emerge as a single feed to the carburettor, but which way do they run– also where can I get the relevant pipes repaired and made up?

Could anyone help with photos of their bike so I can see which way they should all be fitted?
ImageImageImageImage[/img]
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1958 G11 Fuel Pipes

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Geoff.
From the bits that you have it looks to me that PO may have intended that one side of the 'T' piece was to be connected directly to a tank tap and then two pipes left that 'T' piece and were connected at the carb to the new double inlet 'banjo' fitting in your photo.

Or you could simply fit the new double inlet fitting to the carb and run a pipe from each of the tank taps directly to the carb fitting.

On my bike a pipe comes from each tank tap to a 'T' piece lower down behind the carb and then the single outlet from the 'T' piece (it doesn't matter which one) goes to a single spigot 'banjo' fitting on the carb, the same as the fitting you already have on your carb.

I don't have posh pipes and fittings, just a copper stub about 2" long fitted to each tap to which I attach standard (ethanol proof) tubing with Jubilee clips. I do have a small plastic 'push on' type filter between the 'T' piece and the carb in the single pipe because the lining in my tank is beginning to break up and I haven't got around to sorting that yet.

The tap on the left (drive side) is normally kept closed in normal running as the left side of the tank will still hold about a pint or two in reserve when the petrol on the r/h side of the tank is used up.

Re posting photos I have just opened you Photobucket link and clicked on the IMG box and pasted it into this reply, as below. It shows that you have two outlet spigots with nuts to connect them to the taps which would do the same job as my 2" copper tube stubs....
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

sorry i cant help with original fitment eqpt but heres my model 30 .

mine is like spriddler says but is not exactly pretty but it was like it when i got the bike , the 2 pipes go into a tee piece and then one pipe out to the single carb inlet .

i know the filter is an addition and not usually there because there is a gauze filter inside the carb union .

my reserve is left hand/ nearside and main on right , i often start the bike on the reserve tap and then swap over to main tap , but its just to run the fuel down the reserve hose once in a while so its clean .

obviously i would prefer the original pipework and fittings but as of yet not managed to sort anything out .

bike runs fine as it is and so i leave it be .

maybe i will put a y connector on the carb inlet or if i find suitable old style hose and fittings i may change them .

dont worry about the extra bits cable tied on , they are just spare seals for the crankcase , and im like my grandfather and keep bits and bobs around the bike for use if i have a problem at side of road .

youll see i have a gauze bellmouth on the back of the carb, not original but my dad had a bike of the same when he was younger and he had a problem with a fly getting into the carb one summer day when miles from home and the bike conked out , so i am making sure that wont occur to me !!! .
WP_000160.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Here's mine. Note, no jubilee clips have been necessary.
(Afraid the ol' girl's looking very sad, been ignored at the back of the shed for 5 years and unlikely to come out again :( )
Stompbox

Post by Stompbox »

Hey thanks very much guys!

Can I get the T pieces or Y pieces on the club website - or just have a look on ebay - or are there any suppliers that you deal with?

The fuel filter is a good idea - again are those a standard piece generally available?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

'T' pieces here (and many other sources)

http://amalcarb.co.uk/fuelling-accessories/t-piece.html

Filter (no photo but I assume it's the one) from Club Spares

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=23503
Stompbox

Post by Stompbox »

Have found all of the bits and pieces on the internet, so all ordered, will see how I get on. Must remember to check & reset the tappets if needed before putting the tank back on.....