1958 G3L oil pipes

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
pouchy750

1958 G3L oil pipes

Post by pouchy750 »

I'm rebuilding a friends bike, that I didn't take apart, so keep getting stumped on a few things.
On the engine, which is the supply & return lines? The bottom banjo nut is bigger than the top one. Top supply, bottom return?
Looking at the oil tank from the right side, which way round do the oil pipes go? There are 2 tubes, one behind each other. Front supply, back return?
Thanks for your help.
Stuoyb

Re: 1958 G3L oil pipes

Post by Stuoyb »

With the oil tank empty looking at the two pipes on the bottom, one of them is connected directly to the bottom of the tank (rear) this is the feed (use a torch if you can't see in normal light). the other tube (front) extends the full height inside the tank with a small outlet hole that you can see from the filler aperture - this is the return.
From memory(someone may prove me wrong) the feed on the crankcase is the lower of the holes using the union nut.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

The attached snippit from a maintenance manual should help.
Note the threads in the crankcase are BSP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

Also note which way up the pump pin 5 goes, the recessed end into the body. Put it the other way round and the oil supply and return will be significantly reduced.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Dave Holmes

Post by Dave Holmes »

Hello all - I have a 1953 G3LS which is leaking very badly from the oil supply and scavenge lines where they enter and exit the crankcase. Can the whole unit be removed (after draining the sump!)?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Not exactly sure what you mean by 'the whole unit' but once the gland nuts at the crankcase have been undone the pipes should just pull out/away.
Strictly speaking you don't need to drain the sump as it isn't really a sump. The return side of the pump has a greater capacity than the supply so there will normally only be a small amount of oil at the base of the crankcase unless the bike has been unused for a while in which case oil from the oil tank will probably have seeped past the pump and into the crankcase. Obviously you'll need to drain the oil tank.

Be very careful with the spanners on those gland nuts as the crankcase casting at that point is easily cracked leading to oil leaks.
To make removal a bit easier the correct bolt behind the nuts (see photo) should have a reduced thickness head.
At crankcase. Bolt (640x365).jpg
As you are not showing as a member you may not 'have permission' to be able to see the above photo so I'll repeat the photo here but from my remote hosting site.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Dave Holmes wrote:Hello all - I have a 1953 G3LS which is leaking very badly from the oil supply and scavenge lines where they enter and exit the crankcase. Can the whole unit be removed (after draining the sump!)?
pouchy750 wrote: On the engine, which is the supply & return lines?
Looking at the oil tank from the right side, which way round do the oil pipes go?
Did any of this help you two guys ?
;)
clive

Post by clive »

given that Pouchy750 wrote in 2016 I doubt you will get a reply! David Holmes might though.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

clive wrote:given that Pouchy750 wrote in 2016 I doubt you will get a reply! David Holmes might though.
And he lasted visited the forum on: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:28 pm you could well be right Clive!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote:given that Pouchy750 wrote in 2016 I doubt you will get a reply! David Holmes might though.
:oops: Don't confuse me with the facts. I'm old.

It is useful nevertheless to know if/how issues may have resolved posts.
And for others using the 'Search' facility.