G11/M30 clutch.

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
Stevekg11

G11/M30 clutch.

Post by Stevekg11 »

Dear all
Being new to this classic bike lark I have one or two queries. I have a 1956 G11 with a 1958 M30 engine and although mostly all there, various parts are off the bike. One of these being the all the clutch components (in biscuit tin). Now going through these parts none of them seem to resemble the parts in the parts catalogue. I have two baskets,one centre (no shock absorber) various selection of plates plain and friction a five hole pressure plate and some kind of roller bearings. Ok I thought just get the bits new from the club to make up a correct clutch but no some of the parts aren't listed (shock abs compartment cover and screws etc. What I need to know is where I go from here. Can the clutch have no shock absorber..should it have a three hole pressure plate ? Should I chuck the lot in the bin and start again ?
I must say I recently restored a 1972 MG Midget and the whole spares identifying was a whole lot easier.
Must stop ranting now thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
dave16mct

Re: G11/M30 clutch.

Post by dave16mct »

'56 G11 would have had a shock absorber on the engine shaft, B52 burman clutch (no shock absorber) and B52 Burman gearbox. Your 58 engine has no shock absorber, used with an AMC clutch which has a shock absorber and AMC gearbox. So you will have to use the AMC clutch. What gearbox are you using?
Dave.
Stevekg11

Post by Stevekg11 »

You will have to help me out here.I have no idea how to identify my gearbox.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

If the box has an inspection plate which is round with a big screwdriver slot and a number like GB26B56 its a Burman 'B52'. If the inspection plate is held on by 2 screws and the number is M#####, then its an AMC box.
Dave.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

let us know when you identify the box, it is possible to use a Burman but you need the AMC clutch and you need to make a spacer to fit at the rear of the chainwheel to get the correct primary chain line, kind regards