1959 g2 breather problems

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
alan

Post by alan »

hi,
after a full rebuild i took the g2 out for a spin, using multigrade oil, all went fine, i did about 35 miles.
came back checked over and noticed the rear chain was quite oily, nothing exesesive, from the breather i guess.
yesterday i dropped the multigrade oil as it is like water when hot, and replaced it with 50 grade oil.
since then i cant use the bike as it is dropping oil at the rate of one big blob every couple of seconds, "out of the breather pipe" at the rear of the engine on tick over.
any ideas why please, almost everyone who has replied to this on "real classics" seem to think i should use multigrade again.
any ideas?
regards, alan

Tolly

Post by Tolly »

I have a G5 Alan and I use Morris oil which is very good, but saying that I would never buy a scot oiler for the rear chain as it is quite well lubricated from the breather but I don't seem to top up much. Go back to a multi-grade and don't worry about it. [8D]
Regards, Mike T.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
alan

Post by alan »

thanks mike,
but i would be interested to know why, using the oil that was intended for the engine eg 50 grade, does it make the engine build up that much pressure thus forcing it out of the breather, i think i will revert back to 20/50 tomorrow.
regards, alan

lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Alan
Is the breather pipe raised high on the bike so blown oil has a chance to trickle back into the engine?

monograde oil being thicker will fill the pipe more so will be blown along and out of it more easily and not run back 'like water'.

Lawrence [}:)]
alan

Post by alan »

hi lawrence,
the breather on the lightweight comes out of the rear of the crankcase facing the front of the g/box, it is to put it easily a long bolt that goes into the crankcase with what looks about a 3/82 hole drilled through it, and it does not have a pipe connector on it, so the oil just blows out facing the chain, but as i said earlier, the oil is leaking out quite fast.
regards, alan

Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I am no expert on oils, and even less on the G2, but, if this engine is fitted with a felt filter (or a piece of rag as a friend calls it) then you should not use multigrade oils. I stand to be corrected again, but I believe all multigrades are detergent oils, keeping the engine clean internally by mantaining the 'gunge' in suspension. This 'gunge' is held in a modern paper element filter but will go through the felt filter thus continually circulating around the engine. I have gleaned this information from several websites when considering whether to run my bikes on multigrades.