G15 side stand and tacho ratios

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
StuartN

Post by StuartN »

Don - thanks for your advice. My G15 is just as you describe; two small holes, etc. The spring is hooked into the front hole first but due to the angle the tension tries to retract the side stand once the weight is lifted off. I will have to either drill two more hole an inch or so further forward or fix a hook to an engine mount.

Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I see the myth of using the forward hole to enable the stand to stay down is alive and well - WRONG. The spring has to be anchored at least 1" + forward of the footrest to cause the prop stand to stay down. I have done this to several bikes, two of which are in my garage at this moment, and yes, I have just re-checked. All you need to do is as I described on the second posting of this thread.

TommoT

Post by TommoT »

I second Alan, works on my G80 too! But in my experience the spring must not be too old or tired, if you want it to stay up(!). A simple way to try this out, without drilling any holes, is to use a jubilee clip to fix the spring end around the exhaust pipe support or any other bolt or frame tube in this area.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

How strange, before I posted my comment I checked two bikes, my '56 LCS & my 1961 G12CSR. Both have original type springs supplied by the Spares Scheme. Both stands stay down when the springs are in the front position & spring up when in the rear. Maybe the compy frames are different?
Don Psycle Madden

StuartN

Post by StuartN »

Progress report - I made a small guitar plectrum shaped plate with two holes 3/8" and 1/16". This was then fitted in place of the washer under the front lower engine mount nut. I re-attached the spring and job was complete. Total time including painting it 30 minutes. The stand stays put up or down and by firmly applying the front brake I can start it without heaving onto and off the centre stand. Hurray!
Now for the oil leaks!

Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Hi Donald, looks as though we are back in business. Now propstand springs, I am currently putting together a 'special' for a friend, the frame I am told is a very late competion frame, possibly '65, the two holes are in the same location as the tourers, and the stand won't stay down. I had a good look at a G15 on a recent club run, and the stand stays down 'cos the hole in the bottom rail is about 1.5" to the rear of the front lower engine/frame stud. The owner said he bought the bike like it, so is it standard or has someone performed a mod?

Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Hello Alan,
I dunno. The 1956 G3LCS I've had from 1956 & the '61 G12CSR about 30 years & am the 2nd owner on both. The only changes to the '56 were to strip it for desert racing but the 61 had been stripped & the frame repainted, (green!). Both stands stay down using the front hole but retract using the rear. My latest model is 1962 G80 but it is in big lumps & did not have a side stand when aquired. The holes may have been relocated to satify U.S. safety requirments. In the 70's switches were added to side stands & clutch controls to prevent idiots from starting in gear with the clutch engaged with the stand down. I did that with my 1st, (and only), electric start bike, but rode away as if it was intentional.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

More obfuscion: I just checked a 1963 G80CS. The standard spring is in the forward position & the stand stays down. If the stand question is not controversial enough ask about the orientation of the speedo gearbox, (above or below the axle), & the routing of the cable, (along lower frame or along top tube). Maybe some of the fitters held the drawings upside down. Or maybe the varients were produced on Monday, a notorious problem for U.S. automakers.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I wonder if we are confused about 'front' and 'rear' holes (hope that is not censored!!) The holes I am referring to are to the rear of the foot rest, on the right had lower rail and are approx. 5/8ths" apart. The 'up and over' speedo cable routing I would suspect is necessary on a trials bike. We have 'Friday' cars over here.

27col

Post by 27col »

Hi stuart. My model 18s has a prop stand which stays down. It has been modified by the fitting of a plate which moves the spring fixing forward, which bears out what others are saying.