Edith update

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Harry44

Edith update

Post by Harry44 »

Well the engine rebuild went well. New main bearings big end bearing and small end bush glaze bust new piston and rings. Copper head gasket between head and barrel just for variety.

She starts and runs without nasty noises, or oil leaks (yet) enough compression to support my 19 stone frame :rofl: I definitely need to improve my technique.

Just one snagette the new kick start return spring has popped out of the inner case :headbang:

Has anyone else had this problem ?
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Brad

Re: Edith update

Post by Brad »

Good news Harry. I hope mine goes as well when I get it back together, except for the kickstart problem of course. :roll:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. ;)
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Having compared the old spring with the new one, the new spring has a shorter "tang" that goes into the hole in the inner case and it also does not hook back on itself to lock into place.

With the old one back in the gearbox it stays in place but can't return the kick start without assistance. :(

Does anyone know if this is a common problem ? or have a solution ?
clive

Post by clive »

Cannot comment on the new spring and its tangs but the kickstart on my AMC box needs assistance to return to the correct position after starting. Just got used to it!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Have the same problem with the Model 31, must be something to do with the new springs that are being made these days.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Yeah thanks for the replies. Perhaps this is why they modified the spring and its fixings on the later Norton gearboxes.

Thinking cap on
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Hello,I'm still at the"start it with no exhaust and ride it round the yard to anno-", no, I mean "test" my G80 so I'm no guru, BUT my gearbox was in pieces when I bought the bike and when I tried to find how to tension the kickstart the manual merely told me to replace it in the same position as I had removed it!Very helpful. I wound it one turn and fitted it, a bit floppy and it returned unreliably mainly returning to horizontal, no good for the requisite"long swinging kick" to start the bike. So gearbox end off and another turn added (three turns binds the spring ) and now it returns reliably and feels solid on returning, so have you tried two turns? Also, why are you changing the spring if it does work ? Is it cracking or showing imminent signs of failure? Your replacement doesn't seem up to the job.

Have fun anyway, DT.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I changed the spring because it didn't return the kick start. But it does hold it up when pulled back up by hand.

Have fun annoying the neighbours :D